Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tight, White and Shiny*

Those are the three words I repeat to myself on days like today.

Days when the triple-layer chocolate cake sitting in the staff break room keeps calling my name. Or when I know that what I really want to do is go home after work and crash on the couch with a bag of chips and watch Sex and the City re-runs.

But the ticking clock and a reminder of the sleeveless, short, bias-cut bridesmaid's dress I've got to put on in May are enough to boost my willpower.

About a month ago, I joined Weight Watchers- again. This time I'm following their Online program, which is cheaper, less public and works for me. I've done the meetings thing before, in 2004, and lost about 25 lbs. It felt great, I loved it, it was easy...and then I quit.

Since then, I've gained back that weight, and lost the same ten pounds of it over and over and over. I've joined gyms, done yoga, participated in the Self Magazine Fitness Challenge and sworn off sweets, fries and cheese more times than I can count.

So why do I think I can make a difference now?

Because I'm ready.

Because I value myself more than I used to.

Because I know I can, because I know I need to, and because I can't bear the thought of being photographed at my current size and shape in a slinky little dress.



*To be fair, it's a relatively forgiving cut, ivory and satin.

No comments: