Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Going to the Diner

Last night an old friend of mine was in town and wanted to go out for dinner. I'm all for going out for dinner- WW is really flexible, and this is something I'm going to have to do for the rest of my life. I can't very well avoid restaurants for eternity, can I?

She wanted to go to our favourite old hangout, a 50's style diner. We used to go for brunch on Sundays, hung over and barely held together. The hashbrowns, sausage, home-made bread with slabs of butter and their pecan pie held us together after many breakups, bad exam results, friend dramas and assorted and sundry early 20's worries.

I had 7 points left over from the day, because of an unexpected office birthday party and a craving for a cookie at lunchtime. I also had my 35 weekly points to use, so I knew if I made reasonable choices, I'd be fine.

I was torn between three options: a spinach and roasted vegetable salad, a grilled cheese sandwich and their deluxe, giant, bubbling, hot creamy macaroni and cheese.

I decided to split the difference and get the grilled cheese sandwich with a side salad. It was good- crunchy, cheesy, and filling. I ate half the sandwich and the whole salad, and brought the rest home for my boyfriend.

And I skipped the pecan pie.

No comments: