Thursday, April 9, 2009

Best meal of the day

When I was growing up, I never *ever* left the house without eating breakfast first. I sat down every morning to a bowl of cereal with milk. Sometimes I had toast, but toast takes a little longer and I'm all for sleeping as much as possible.
 
Then I moved out of my parents' house, and stopped eating breakfast. Mostly because I'm for sleeping as much as possible, and the 10 minutes it takes to pour a bowl of cereal, eat it and wash the dish out was 10 minutes I could have spent sleeping.
 
But now I've realized that I can't make it through the day without eating. I have lunch around 1:00, so to work for a good 5 hours on an empty stomach results in Megan eating burgers and chips and chocolate bars all afternoon.
 
I usually eat fruit first thing in the morning, but then around 10:30 I warm up a bowl of instant oatmeal and eat at my desk. It's satisfying, it's high in fibre, oatmeal is good for you.
 
But instant oatmeal isn't as good for you as the slow-cooking old fashioned types. And even better for you is the minimally processed steel cut oat type!
 
Yesterday I made some steel cut oats, enough for the rest of the week, and portioned them out into gladware. Heated up, mixed with a teaspoon of peanut butter and a teaspoon of jelly or jam, this is the best breakfast in the whole entire world. I am so full, hours later! This is a happy breakfast find, indeed.

No comments: