Tuesday, May 25, 2010

False Start

Last week I decided that I wanted to try out a new fitness class, Zumba. I found a drop-in class that didn't require registering for 10 weeks OR a gym membership AND that was in the evenings. Why was this so hard?! All I want is to try out something new before I commit to over $100 in class fees or a gym membership, because if I don't enjoy doing something I know I won't stick to it.
 
But victory! I found a class that met my needs. This morning, I packed my lunch and a high-protein snack, figured out what bus to take to get to the class, packed up my clothes and water bottle and arranged for a ride home after the class.
 
I was ready and rarin' to go. I even declined an invitation for a pub night because trying this workout was more appealing than turning down wings and cheese fries for two hours.
 
Well, turns out that the class in question is on Thursday. Thank god I double-checked the time the class ended, or I would have found myself wandering the suburbs in search of a fitness class two days early!
 
I guess I'll go for a swim tonight instead. Any other ideas of things I could try? Do you know of any cool fitness classes in Calgary (or elsewhere)?

2 comments:

kait said...

Where do you go swimming? I do the occasional yoga class at Yoga Santosha on 4th Street. I really love it there, the hot yoga is really exhilerating and I leave the class feeling nicely stretched out. Tuesdays are Ashtanga Level 1. I think they have a deal right now for 2 weeks unlimited classes for $29 to see if you like it.

I would love to take an aerobics class or something though because I need the cardio to keep it going.

Have you ever been to Anytime Fitness on 1st Street? I want to use a treadmill and I heard their rates are reasonable.

Meg said...

Hi Kait!

We have a swimming pool in our apartment building, which is really great. I've tried hot yoga once and it didn't go so well for me, but I'd love to try it again when I'm a little more in shape.

I've never been to Anytime Fitness...I checked out their website, they look like a nice gym!