Friday, May 21, 2010

Long Weekend Survival

This weekend my boyfriend and I are headed to my parents' house. My mom is a fantastic cook, and our family loves to eat. Mom comments here regularly, so she knows that I'm changing my eating habits, and she's already researched a bunch of healthy recipes to try out. Thanks for making it easier for me, Mom!
 
Long weekends and holidays can be really hard when you're watching what you eat. Thanksgiving and Christmas are particularly hard for me, but Victoria Day and Canada Day - not so much. If I get invited to a BBQ or party of some sort, I know I can either bring something healthier and 'safe' to munch on - like a salad or fruit-based dessert - or those options will be there. There's no rule that says I have to eat three hot dogs and a bunch of chips just because they're available, right?
 
I think summer is an easier season for weight loss - the warm weather makes it easier to be active, and fresh produce is in season, available and delicious. Not to mention that when it gets bloody hot, I'm not really in the mood to eat!
 
I am a little disappointed that I won't be going to the gym on Saturday. I've packed my workout clothes, so I can try to sneak in a long walk with my mom or maybe even jump on the treadmill they have in the basement. Yesterday I really didn't feel like doing anything when I got home from work, but instead of talking myself out of it, I talked myself into throwing on my gym togs and doing the dreaded 30 Day Shred. I've done Level One (there are three levels - each is apparently progressively more killer) four times and it's still a tough workout. I didn't collapse and die and I'm not sore today, so I take that as a good sign.
 
I also take it as a good sign that I worked out instead of saying, 'ah, I'll get it tomorrow' because I knew I might not fit in some activity this weekend.
 
Are long weekends tough for you? Do they throw off your gym routine? What are your favourite healthy summer foods?

2 comments:

Gary said...

Good for you my Megan. You have done better than me this week. After an awsome first two weeks of the month, I fell apart this week and only went once. I'm telling myself that next week will be better.

Deb said...

Weekends take on a different life for me because of my stay at home mom status. They're the time in the week when I get help around the house and often get a chance to really spend time cooking and preparing food (which I enjoy).

Having said that, so much of it comes down to the weather. If it's nice out, we like to get to the mountains for hiking, which is obviously pretty good for weight loss. When it's not, it's tempting to hibernate and cook comfort foods. I think that's part of why it's easier in the summer.

As for favourite summer foods, mine is strawberries. I can't wait until the local upics open and I can head out there with the family and stock up. Lots to eat fresh and lots to freeze for cold winter nights.