Monday, May 31, 2010

Skinny jeans

My current wardrobe is basically boot cut jeans, solid coloured tshirts and sweaters, and the occasional collared shirt or jackety blazer. I wear the same clothes to work and at home, which is clearly a sign that I need a wardrobe overhaul. The jeans I'm wearing right now are getting a bit saggy in the bum, so I look forward to replacing them. The sad state of affairs of my closet is very much tied to the fact that for the past few years, I've put off buying new clothes until I'm a smaller size.
 
I have a mental list of all the things I have deemed myself unfit to wear. I was going to phrase that "too chubby to wear", but I feel that's a bit harsh for a Monday. Some of these things are just downright unflattering, period, and always will be. Like skinny jeans. Nope, not on this lady. I don't think it matters how many kilometres I run or how many carrot sticks I snack on insted of baklava, these hips aren't going anywhere. And so, skinny jeans are out. So are tube tops. And mini skirts. But hey, a girl can dream, right?

Someday I'll be confident and comfortable in sleeveless tops without a cardigan or jacket. I'll rock that red bikini. I'll tuck my jeans into tall boots, and zipping them up won't be a tight squeeze. I'll skip the spanx, and wear skirts cut above the knee instead of at that super-flattering mid-calf length.
 
Those days are coming, and soon, I hope. I have a dress in the closet I'd like to wear to a party in September, but I think that's an unrealistic goal (the thing has never fit, except for a brief period of time when I was at my all-time lowest adult weight). For now, I'm going to try to squeeze myself into the dark denim trouser jeans I was wearing last summer.

Do you keep goal clothes in your closet? What about in your mind? What do you dream of wearing? Does it motivate you?

3 comments:

Snowflake said...

I save my "thingorgeous" jeans from the past (just in case!!) and a few other pieces of my wardrobe that I really loved. More important in the weight loss path is to save a pair of your biggest jeans and as the weight drops off and you hit a plateau, pull them out and put them on. I found it was the boost I needed to keep going!!

Snowflake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

That's a great idea, Mom! I am going to keep these baggy bum jeans in the closet for a measurement tool when the scale isn't moving.