Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chubby Chicken

I forgot to pack a lunch today. I slept in, was running late, and figured I'd deal with it when I got to work.
 
By the time lunch rolled around, I was hungry and out of inspiration. I work directly across the street from an A&W, and it's raining. How bad for me could an order of chicken fingers be, anyway?
 
Last night we went out for Indian for dinner, which is one of my favourites. I planned ahead, counted out the points for what I wanted to eat, and ate only what I said I was going to. I was pleased that I could go to a buffet and not down three full plate-sized servings of butter chicken and still feel completely satisfied. Even a little too full.
 
But that was yesterday. I know what I have planned for dinner and snacks today, and I don't have any parties or events this weekend that could be wrought with temptation. I don't weigh in for a week, so I have 6 more days to sweat out whatever crap I eat today, and I promise to eat only salads for lunch for the rest of the week.
 
This is what the voice inside my head said today at lunch. But I know that tonight I'm going to have a beer after work. Or maybe two. And tomorrow I have lunch plans with a friend, and who knows what kind of surprises could pop up this weekend. So I looked up the points on the chubby chicken.
 
Not worth it. Yes, I can have my favourite foods, like butter chicken, but not every day. I have to make many choices every day, every single day, and I know from experience that I wouldn't have just ordered chicken fingers. I would have gone whole-hog on the fast food combo with fries. And sugary sauce. And then I would have wanted something sweet for dessert. For me, one day of fast food at lunch can lead to two days of fast food lunches, and then a weekend of pizza and ice cream and feeling too sick to go to the gym.
 
So I didn't have the chicken fingers. I went to the deli and had a roast beef sandwich without cheese, mayo or butter and lots of veggies instead. Yeah, I might have wanted those fingers, and they would have been easy, but today it's just not worth it. And now lunch is over, and I can move on without beating myself up about it all week.

4 comments:

Kimmi said...

Great Job! I've just started to get into the habit of looking up foods before I eat them to see if they are really worth it. More often than not I change my mind! If I'm going to use the calories I'm going to get something really great, not fast food junk.

I'm new to your blog but I gotta say, You Rock girl! Love it!

RescuingLisa said...

Whoo hoo! excellent job! I know how tempting chubby chicken can be! You are the master of your domain!

Meg said...

Thanks Kimmi and Lisa! It's really nice to have support - means the world to me.

BlossomBelle said...

Thats so great! It feels so good when you make an awesome choice when you struggled to avoid a poor one. Feels better than that chicken would have tasted I bet!