Friday, June 25, 2010

Crazy goes everywhere, even with you on vacation


TOTALLY not where we're going. Photo Source

Gary and I leave for our vacation on Saturday morning. I'm really looking forward to ten days of book reading, quiet time, sunshine (fingers crossed) and relaxation. I'm terrified of slipping up and blowing my diet.

I weigh in on Wednesdays, as you know. I don't attend WW meetings, but rather, I'm following the program online. I know I'll have internet access for most of the trip, if not the entire time, so I should be able to track what I'm eating.

The last time we went on a holiday while I was dieting, we went out for lunch ten minutes after arriving and I ordered everything I had been avoiding for months. Fries, burgers, soda, wine, dessert. In the days that followed, I ate whatever I wanted, in whatever quantity I wanted, because "I'm on holiday!"

Are you surprised that after a week of that, I came home sluggish, pants too tight, and I never recovered?

I desperately don't want that to happen next week. It's summertime, and I'm hoping I can base most of my meals around fresh veggies and fruits. I am going to do my very best to make healthy, low-point choices. If all else fails, I'm going to watch my portion sizes, and I'm going to try to get as much activity in every day as I can. If that means walking, doing sit ups in the bedroom, or jumping jacks in the backyard, I'm going to try to squeeze it in.

The one crazy thing I am debating about is taking my scale with me. We're driving, so I don't have a luggage restriction. I really want to weigh in on Wednesday, gain or loss, and I want that mental check. I'm sure Gary's mom has a scale, but it might not be calibrated the same way as mine, and I'm all for accuracy. Does this actually make me insane? Have I gone too far?

I want to enjoy my life, and I want to enjoy my vacation. This is going to be a lifelong process, and this won't be the last time I'm faced with holiday eating. So I'll do the best I can. I'm going to choose veggies over carbs, and diet soda over margaritas if I have to, except for the night when we go to the Italian restaurant in Trail that has THE BEST spaghetti and meatballs I've ever had. That night, I'm eating the pasta.

4 comments:

Dana said...

Yes, taking the scale with you is crazy. When you get the pasta, forgo the bread that comes beforehand, get a side salad, not caesar, and only eat half the pasta. You are on holiday you get to enjoy yourself! As my nutrionist says, own your choices. Recognize the choice you are making and then back on the wagon the next day. I love and hate my nutrionist.

Lady Rose said...

I agree with Dana, taking the scale is crazy. And don't weigh yourself on someone's else's scale.

Just do what you're doing. Focus on making healthy food choices and working in some activity. And then relax and remember that you're on vacation!

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

I probably wouldn't bring the scale either. But I totally understand where you're coming from lol.

I think the most important thing to learn is how to get back on plan right away. The truth is, even if you totally blew it for a week or two, it's not that big of a deal in the long term if you can get back on plan as soon as your trip is over.

That being said, only you know if you are ready to loosen up the reigns when you are on vacation. If you think you'll end up sabotaging yourself and spiralling out of control and you won't be able to get back on track right away, then maybe be a little more diligent. If you think you can relax a little and just enjoy yourself, then just do your best while still indulging a little bit too.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great :)

Deb said...

I don't think taking the scale is necessarily crazy. You are early in the process, and I think it's understandable if you need that mental check.

I DON'T think you should weigh yourself on a different scale. Even if it's only different from yours by a couple pounds, that's still enough to be totally inaccurate - either giving you false happiness or frustration. Either take yours or don't weigh yourself at all for that time.

I think you're aware enough that you won't go off track during the holiday. And remember, we're all expecting you to report back. ;)