Saturday, June 5, 2010

Downs.

I'm just feeling gross about myself today.

I've made great choices all week. Today I had a light fruit and yogurt breakfast, hit the gym for a 60 minute cardio workout and had a fresh and healthy lunch at extreme pita.

I went to a movie with my boyfriend, stayed far, far away from any snacks, and at dinner I had a half order of pot stickers for a treat. Then, instead of ordering the steak sandwich and Caesar salad that I decided I would splurge on, I changed my mind at the last minute and had a spinach salad with shrimp, avocado, goat cheese, apples, and tomatoes - no dressing. And then I only ate half of it, and brought the rest home for lunch tomorrow.

By all accounts, I should feel great about myself today!

But I don't. I feel fat. I'm tired. I feel anxious, and even though I'm pleased with my results so far, I'm not seeing any change in my body. I've been taking weekly photos and nothing. I see nothing. Yes, it's not even been a month yet, and my 7 lb loss so far is great, but I feel a bit like I'm two steps up a giant staircase, and I'll never get to the top. I've got a mountain to climb, and I just wish I looked a *little bit* slimmer. Even if I'm the only person who could see it.

Do you ever feel like this? How do you get past it? I know better than to get discouraged and quit, but still...I'm just not feeling great about my progress today.

5 comments:

RescuingLisa said...

Oh man, you've been doing awesomeley! You should be sooo proud of yourself. I've lost 40 lbs and I still have a difficult time seeing the difference (I too am only on the second step of the staircase) - take it one day at a time and look at the difference once you hit the 1 month mark - you'll get there! In the meantime... don't you feel better physically? All this healthy eating and exercise you've been doing must be making you feel good! Hold onto that good feeling and be proud of what you've accomplished in this short period of time!

Snowflake said...

Don't give up!!! All your hard work is paying off and you will see results!!!!!

Meg said...

Thanks Lisa. You're right, I do feel better physically. I'm not as winded walking around for long periods and the headaches I was suffering from earlier this year have almost gone away. Thanks for the perspective and advice :)

Thanks, Mom. I feel better this morning and I'm going to just keep going.

Breanne said...

Hey Meg, I think we all have days like that... I usually make myself go for a run. Because I always feel better afterwards. Like I've accomplished SOMETHING. And that little something will help me to look & feel better in the long run. Plus I'm less likely to pout watching romantic comedies and eating crap that way. Which let's face it, is what you want to do when you feel like that! But after I run I feel like it'd be a waste to sit and pout. So I get through it and hopefully feel better the next day...

Either that or I offer puppy kisses. They work wonders...

Meg said...

I might take you up on those puppy kisses! Thanks for the idea about going for a run instead of watching romcoms and eating crap - it's true, I do feel much better having actually done something instead of sitting and pouting.