Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Either way, I'm sore.

Yesterday I decided I would go light on my workout. I worked really hard over the weekend, and while I still wanted to do something, I thought I'd go easy on myself. All afternoon I wavered between going for a swim, going for a walk, or doing a 30 minute dance cardio video I recently acquired.
 
But when I got home, it was rainy and cold, I wasn't in the mood for a swim, and the dance just wasn't appealing. I have a few other cardio tapes, most of them dance related, and not one of them was calling to me.
 
Six weeks ago, I would have congratulated myself for my good intentions and sat down on the couch. 'Not feelin' it? Don't worry about it' was how I was operating.
 
But I want to see a change in my body. I want to succeed. I want new running shoes, and I want to buy them this weekend! Knowing that I had 3 hours of exercise to knock off before I meet my goal, I knew I really should work out.
 
So instead of taking it easy, I did Level 2 of the 30 Day Shred. Um, ow. Level 1 worked my butt and thighs, and Level 2 seems intent to destroy my upper body.  I swore at the TV, sweat dripping down my face, huffing and panting. When Jillian said, "I want you to be gargling your heart at the end of this set!" I may have called her that one name I reserve for inside-head usage only, and even then, things have got to be REALLY BAD. But this time I said it out loud. Seriously. How many minutes do you think I can hold a plank position? And now you want me to do squat thrusts? I thought those were made up! I
 
Lying on the floor in a puddle of sweat, I wanted to quit. Halfway through circut two, I told the witch on the TV "I don't wanna. I want to quit. I hate you."
 
But I didn't, and today I have the sore arm, back and shoulder muscles to prove it. Instead of pain, I think it might be pride I'm feeling.
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Kimmi said...

Oh, it's pride. I've done 30 day shred once through, all three levels. There is nothing more satisfying than yelling at her while you workout...well that is until you finish and realize...I survived Jillian!

Meg said...

Survived is totally the right word.

RescuingLisa said...

Whooo hoo! Way to go - i'm taking a page out of your book tonight and am going to kick my arse at the gym! Thanks for the comment on my blog (and the well-needed boost!)

Meg said...

Anytime, Lisa!