Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fat Girl on the Society Page?

The day I decided to join Weight Watchers, we had a VIP event at work. Because I work in Marketing and PR for Arts organizations, I go to a lot of cool parties. It's been my secret ambition since I graduated from university to get my photo on the Society Page.

Imagine my shock and horror when I was photographed by the city's best-loved society columnist the VERY DAY I started a new lifestyle.

I even told his partner that I wasn't at my Society Page Weight.

I waited anxiously for about a month before the column hit the paper. On Sunday, I all but grabbed the paper out of the hands of the man at the table next to us at the diner we were having brunch in. Ok, I asked the waitress if she had the paper and he offered his to me.




There I was.

Wearing my favourite green jacket. One of the only jackets in my closet that fits, and this one - just barely.

Looking like a whale.

But like a hopeful whale.

That's life, right? You can set goals, dream big and follow your ambitions, but you don't get to dictate everything. The whens, whys, whos and hows are often left up to chance - like this one. I made the Society Page! I'm 50 lbs overweight!

Perhaps I should have been more specific.

New secret life ambition: Make the Society Page and look fantastic in that photo, at my goal weight.

2 comments:

RescuingLisa said...

I love your new secret life ambition. You are doing awesome - just keep up the good work and in your next Society edition - youll be at that goal weight!

Anna said...

Don't worry - the same pics that haunt us become the greatest motivation when we are back on track! :)