Monday, June 28, 2010

A little motivation

Everybody needs something to light a fire in them on Monday morning, right? It's so easy to come up with excuses and reasons why NOT to make changes. Even after you have made changes, it's really easy to 'fall off the wagon' and get right back into that comfortable old couch groove.

As easy as it is to be excited about getting active when it's warm outside - let's go for a walk! let's go for a hike! let's go for a run! let's go for a round of golf/play ultimate frisbee/swim in the lake! - it's also easy to come up with excuses. Like, it's too hot. Or, I just want to relax. Or, my swimsuit is already wet and I'd rather not climb into it. Or, I'll get an uneven running tan. Or, there's a party and I'd rather go sit on the patio and drink beer. Or, it's hot and I'll probably die of dehydration and heat exhaustion, so I'd better just stay in here by the air conditioner. With a beer.

I can talk myself out of pretty much anything, except buying new shoes.

Here's an article I read about getting motivated to workout when that spark starts to flicker. It talks about re-framing and a few self-talk coaching tips.

I particularly liked the advice about boot camps and intense instructors, because I am absolutely terrified of Intense! Fitness! People!

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Anna said...

Those are good tips - especially as I'm looking for motivation to start hitting the gym regularly, but I'm scared to fitness-obsessed people!

The 'just 10 minutes' trick... I love it. :)

ErinB said...

Well I went for my first run today of what will be my successful C25K program. And when I got bored, I thought up all the reasons why I WAS running. The best one for this morning (yep I was out there at 5am) was that running will help file my dog's nails and then I don't have to cut them.

spotlessmind said...

Thanks for sharing the link! I'm struggling with motivation lately and also am a complete shoe addict. :)

spotlessmind said...

Thanks for sharing the link! I'm struggling with motivation lately and also am a complete shoe addict. :)