Monday, June 7, 2010

Planning Ahead

I am feeling quite smug this morning. Tonight we're having a delicious dinner (more on that later), and part of that dinner is baked potatoes.
 
Our apartment faces west, and in the summer, we have bright, full sunlight for most of the day and often, until about 9:00 at night. This means our concrete box of a home can get REALLY hot. On really hot days, using the oven is out of the question.
 
I have never mastered the art of the baked potato in the microwave, which is okay, because our microwave is broken and we haven't replaced it yet.
 
So what's a baked tater loving girl to do?
 
I wrapped them in foil and stuck them in the crockpot. Several websites assured me that when I get home from work,they will not have exploded and started my kitchen on fire, but instead will be perfectly baked. I'm excited, because I threw in two extra potatoes for lunches or dinners later this week.
 
Top one of those puppies with some chili or some beans, salsa and a little bit of cheese, throw together a salad and dinner is served!
 
Now, granted, my smugness probably means this is going to be a total crash-and-burn disaster, but hey. I tried, and I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Gary said...

Yikes, our home is going to be on fire or have burnt potato smell for the remainder of the time we live there!

---------------
I thought we could just lower our carbs with rice, or maybe mushrooms and steamed broccoli

Regardless I sure am looking forward to dinner too!