Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday shopping

Gary and I got up early this morning and, as usual, went to Starbucks for breakfast. I had an iced grande skinny vanilla latte because I was already feeling kind of warm and just wasn't in the mood for a hot coffee (very strange. I'm always in the mood for coffee!). I was really looking forward to having one of their greek yogurt and honey parfaits, but they were out so I had a berry, granola and yogurt cup. Pretty satisfying!

Over coffee wee did our meal planning for the week. Tonight's dinner is one of my favourites - Mexican! We're having chicken fajitas with spanish rice. Later this week we'll have steak and baked potatoes, and a few nights of lighter salad-based dinners. I'm not a huge fan of the big ol' garden salad for dinner as I prefer a heartier meal at the end of the day, but Gary is, and I'm really running out of dinner ideas so when he requests something, I don't argue.



This is what our fridge looks like post-grocery run.



Full of produce and low-fat dairy products. Apparently we need to work on a better organization system for all this veg.

I picked up a package of these tortillas for tonight.



I'm on the fence about the WW products. I think the program itself is great, but I'd rather fuel my body with real, healthy food than low-fat, low-cal, faux-food with a weight watchers label. If I want a cookie, I'd be better off having one home-made cookie than five sugar-free cookies, you know?

I think diet foods have their place, and especially when just starting out on a program, they can make it much easier. Frozen entrees, 100 calorie packs, low-calorie bread products all make it easier to adjust to a new lifestyle, proper portion sizes and a new eating plan. In the past, I've relied quite heavily on Lean Cuisine meals, sugar-free candy, low-fat chips and WW branded foods as substitutes for my favourite foods, but I always end up feeling somewhat unsatisfied and sort of cheated.

Anyway, tonight I'll be able to have two or three fajitas, instead of one on the regular tortillas we picked up for Gary. These wraps are worth a shot.

And for a treat this week?



CHERRIES!!! I promise not to eat them all in one sitting and make myself sick, like I do every single summer. You think I'd learn. :)

6 comments:

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

I agree with you 100 % on the WW products and processed food in general. They can be great when you are transitioning into a new plan, but eventually you realize they are usually nutritionally void and d nothing for your health. That's probably the biggest change I've made over this journey, eating real food.

Mmmmm I love cherries too :)

Anonymous said...

I hear what your saying...the bread products though are no different than any other off the shelf commercial bakery breads (other than the price tag) so they aren't "crap" as much as the frozen dinners, snack cakes..etc (of course all packaged break has preservatives - a little scary how long they stay actually!)
Dempsters has a competing brand "body wise" and all the points are the same, but it's a bit cheaper. Also, while the WW tortillas are 1 pt each they are 3 pts for 2 which almost all small tortillas are...just food for thought :) keep up the great work!

Breanne said...

I completely agree with Anonymous. I'm not down with any WW products but the bread. And really the only reason I'll do the bread products is because I don't find them bad, and then I don't have to do any point math! :)

Snowflake said...

My vote is for the Dempster "body wise" bread over WW bread!!

Meg said...

I agree about the Dempsters Body Wise bread or the WW bread - both are decent options and are pretty much as healthy as regular store-bought bread.

I guess I don't buy them very often because I don't eat a lot of sandwiches or toast, and a whole loaf of bread goes bad on me before I can eat it all.

Deb said...

I pretty much agree with you about diet products, though the bread is probably not as bad as the stuff full of artificial sweeteners and sugar. I try to read ingredient lists, rather then just nutritional information. It gives me a much better idea as to whether it's worth putting in my body.

As for the loaf of bread going bad, stick it in the freezer! As long as it's wrapped well, it will keep great, and it thaws quickly.