Monday, June 14, 2010

Waterlogged

Ten minutes ago I got up from my desk, walked to the kitchen, looped past the bathroom, and re-filled my water bottle AGAIN. I'm on my third litre of water this morning, and I feel like any minute now I'm going to float away.
 
I'm learning that actually like drinking water. Yesterday I was thirsty and found myself craving it. Which is odd, because my beverage of choice has always been diet coke. Unless it's before noon, and then it's coffee. I'm highly caffeinated.
 
I know that drinking water is an important part of weight loss, but to be honest, I have no idea why. I do know that on Monday mornings, I come in and chug away at that cool, clear bottle like there's no tomorrow. In my mind, I'm imagining all the fat on my body being 'flushed away' and fantasize about erasing last night's scrumptious barbecued hamburger with each sip that I take. Thank you, evian, for finally getting me into that bikini!
 
But obviously that's not how it works. I can't 'erase' bad eating habits by gulping down a barrel of water. But lately my eating habits have been pretty great, and the water consumption has got to help. Plus, my skin looks fantastic.
 
I googled "why does drinking water help with weight loss?" this morning, and through several websites that I am somewhat skeptical of - not one of them a source I recognized or really trust - I found this explanation. Water helps remove waste from the body. Increasing the fibre content of your food creates more waste, thus, the need to flush it out (literally). Also, sometimes we're not sure if we're hungry or thirsty, and water helps you 'feel full'.
 
So back to the water fountain I go. Are there any weight-loss or healthy eating 'rules' you follow, but aren't sure why?

3 comments:

Snowflake said...

From what I have heard and read about diet sodas you are definitely making the right choice by drinking water instead of your usual diet coke. I have also heard that caffeine intake often perpetuates many of the factors contributing to weight gain and continued obesity. You are on the right path if you cut back on coffee and diet coke and keep glugging the water!!

BlossomBelle said...

Water is our best friend. Not only does it un-mask whther we are hungry or thirsy, but gives us something to intake besides food. Im sure it does help flush out toxins, perhaps not a whole cheese cake, but helps. And for the most part, it just makes you feel in contorl, like you doing all you can to be healthy. Keep at it! Im on my 3rd bottle myself.

Deb said...

I love water. I drink tonnes of it.

Having said that, I think a lot of the weight loss benefits are correlation, rather then direct causation. Either that or psychological.

For one, if you drink more water, you're less likely to drink your calories with other beverages. And artificial sweeteners can play havoc with some people as well.

Some people mistake thirst as hunger, so drinking water can help with that.

Water does help your body function better. Ironically, the more you drink, the less you retain. If you don't have enough, your body holds onto the extra because it doesn't know when it will get more. So, not drinking enough can actually cause you to hang onto a couple extra pounds of bloat. Sadly, you can only lose those pounds once.

I'm not convinced of the scientific NEED to drink water to lose weight. But, it does seem to help.