Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What's for dinner?

Well, it's certainly not this:



Photo from a "date night" a few months ago. Mmm, poutine. Yeah, we're reaaaal healthy. And cheap.

Gary and I do all of our meal planning for the week ahead on Sundays. We go for coffee (or to the gym and then for coffee...like we did this week when mayhem ensued), decide what we're going to eat that week and then buy all the required groceries.

Tonight was salmon night. I've also got Gina's Chicken Parmesan on the menu this week, but sadly we have no breadcrumbs. Plus, I'm always scared to buy fish and then not eat it within two or three days, so salmon it was!

I love cooking. Sometimes I follow a recipe, sometimes I don't and make it up as I go along. Tonight I wung it...

Salmon with Apricot Chili Glaze



Mix 2-3 tablespoons of apricot or peach preserves, a shake or two of dried chilis, a dash of ginger (fresh or dried, I had dried), and a splash of soy sauce. Mix together and spoon over a salmon filet with the skin either removed or facing down on a baking sheet.

I cover my baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up. 'Cause I'm lazy.

Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. This filet was pretty thick so it needed 20 minutes, sometimes it's more like 15.

I served it with spinach salad and whole grain couscous. I mixed in a little curry powder, some craisins and walnut pieces.

What are some of your go-to quick meals?

3 comments:

Gary said...

It was legendary!!

Lady Rose said...

Oh man, I'm so jealous of your quick go-to meal! Any chance I can convince you to ditch Gary and marry Mr. Rose and me instead?

Meg said...

Hey, the offer was on the table once.