Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Zumba

When trying something new, one never wants to be the 'est' anything in the room. Tallest, loudest, oldest, youngest. Fattest.

Group exercise classes are a great way to get in a workout, and usually, they're pretty fun. I tried my very first Zumba class today at a local community centre, led by a woman named Jocelyn. (Check out her website if you're in Calgary).

I went with my friend Amanda, who I often force into trying new and ridiculous things with me. Like pole dancing classes. Yoga. Pottery (she was the driving force there). Et cetera. This time I took the liberty of registering her for the free demo class without even asking her first. Mwahaha. What did we have to lose? It was free.

Zumba is a Latin dance fitness class, involving lots of hip shaking, bosom bouncing and dancy jumping action. It's high intensity, high energy, and classes are popping up everywhere this summer. I looked around for awhile until I found a class that was near my apartment and at a convenient time, and this one fit the bill perfectly.

We planned to get there early to stake out a spot in the back of the room. Listen, I know that "no one is watching you" and I shouldn't be embarassed, but I don't want to be the chick in the front row screwing up the moves and throwing off everyone's beat. Because I ALWAYS watch the people in front of me. It makes it easier for me to follow.

Yeah, we were smug, tucked into the back. Then the class started, and sure enough, the leader asked us to turn around. The back of the room? Now the front.

The only thing worse than being the only two plus sized ladies in the room in a cardio dance class is being the only two plus sized ladies in the room, right in the centre of the front row of a cardio dance class.

But man, it was fun. Jocelyn doesn't wear a mike or do much in terms of verbal clues, so I was a little lost, but years and years of doing aerobics tapes in the basement mean I can do a mean step-touch combo.

I worked up a killer sweat, and the 45 minutes or so zipped by. Even though I felt like a total boob and was sure that all the skinny girls in the room were staring at my ample, jiggling backside while I did things like this:



(the video is clearly not of me)

I had a great time and can't WAIT to go back.

12 comments:

RescuingLisa said...

OMG - that looks totally nuts! Good on you for trying something new and likeing it!

Way to boogie the weight off!

Snowflake said...

Sounds like fun! Glad you enjoyed yourself and are planning on going back!!!!

Anna said...

Well, that's REALLY encouraging! I wish there were those kinds of classes around here too, but I live in a small city in Italy... maybe it's better this way, I don't think I'd feel comfortable zumba-ing! You're brave! :)

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

I'm so glad you had fun!
If I could work up the nerve I would love to try Zumba and kickboxing...some day :)

Lady Rose said...

Next time we'll know better. Aim for the middle!

But it was fun.

Breanne said...

Sounds like fun! Those tricky dance teachers do that frequently... :) Are you two signed up for the full class now? I may do some drop ins once my Wednesdays are free.

Also - on a separate topic - LadyRose - where did your blog go??? No more? :(

Deb said...

Good for you! I've been thinking of trying a class, but haven't worked up the nerve yet. *ahem* I mean, it just hasn't fit into my schedule yet.

I have also wondered what happened to Lady Rose's blog.

Lady Rose said...

Lady Rose is feeling down in the dumps and questioning her mad blogging skillz ladies. But as soon as I took it offline I questioned my decision. Give me a couple days to turn this funk around and I'll probably be back.

A little sun might help. Universe? Can you help me out here?

Lady Rose said...

Lady Rose is feeling down in the dumps and questioning her mad blogging skillz ladies. But as soon as I took it offline I questioned my decision. Give me a couple days to turn this funk around and I'll probably be back.

A little sun might help. Universe? Can you help me out here?

Meg said...

Thanks for your comments! It was a blast. I definitely recommend it - if there aren't any classes available in your area, I know you can buy Zumba workout DVDs.

Courtney said...

Thanks for the info! I came across your blog on the WW message boards (CJCLARK82) - and I am in Calgary, and am super stoked to try that Zumba class! I was looking and saw some at Cardel Place but haven't gotten the nerve to go yet. I just might have to drag my friend with me sometime!
Thanks!!

Meg said...

Courtney, you should totally try it out! There are a few other places in Calgary that do classes, but Jocelyn's fit my schedule and budget the best. Nice to see you here - thanks for the comment!