Thursday, July 22, 2010

Goals

Guys, I'm feeling a bit frustrated.
 
I set my July goals (see sidebar for a refresher) when I was getting ready for our holiday and feeling super in love with the 30 Day Shred. Well, a month has passed, we're nearing the end of July and I'm not so much in love with it anymore.
 
Level 1 was hard, but I felt empowered doing it. I could actually track my progression in the number of pushups I could do and whether I could complete the whole thing without stopping. I could see results. I felt awesome.
 
Level 2 is harder. WAY harder. There is no end to the plank position - plank jacks, plank twists, plank i-hate-you-so-freaking-much. I've often fallen into the "I Can't" trap when it comes to fitness. I can't do pushups. I can't run. I can't swim.
 
I have been pushing myself this time. Not so hard as to hurt myself, but still. I've tried a lot of new things, scary things like Crazy Lady Yoga and running outside. The other day I doubled the length of time I spend on the elliptical, up to a full hour. I'm going to this intense Zumba class. I haven't let myself say "I can't" - frankly, I haven't even let myself think it.
 
I have five workouts left to complete my goal of finishing Level 2 of the 30 Day Shred. I know I CAN - I'll have to do it pretty much every week day between now and next weekend - but I don't know if I want to. I'm just not feeling like I'm getting anywhere with it. It's hard, and it's intense, like Leve 1 - but I'm not seeing any progression. I'm not feeling empowered. I feel a little defeated, actually. I have trouble with the plank position, with walking pushups. I'm scared of Level 3.
 
I committed to finishing the DVD. I don't want to feel defeated by a workout tape. I'm seeing results. I dread doing it. I set a goal, I can meet it. It's not like the world will end if I quit.
 
What would you do?

9 comments:

bellini said...

Invite someone to do it with you- someone who's never done it will make you feel soooo much better about yourself. Haha. The first time you shred is a rude awakening.

Deb said...

It's your goal so you're allowed to change it. It isn't that you are giving up or not meeting the goal. It's that you've re-evaluated and realized it isn't the right goal for you at this point in your journey.

Like you said, you can do it. But, you don't want to. And it's not the kind of don't want to that you need to push yourself towards. It's not like you're groaning and refusing to workout. You've just realized you'd rather do something else.

It might make you feel better to set a different goal to replace it for the rest of the month, but honestly, I say let yourself change plans.

Rigidity in weight loss is one of the biggest pitfalls you can deal with. The world isn't rigid, so be flexible.

BlossomBelle said...

I too have been doing the shred. I was going to give level 2 a try, ven tho I have not been doing level 1 consistently. I go to the gym more than do the DVD. You are doing great and with only 5 days of a level left of a level you consider excruciating, I would say keep going! You will feel so amazing when you finish the whole thing. If you get bored of it, mix it up a bit, but never let it slide away from you because your over half way done!
And YAY Zumba! Love it!

Lady Buttons said...

Level 2 is a serious pain in the ass - literally! What about doing a Level 1 workout? Maybe this would show that you are progressing through the dvd, when you remember how hard it was to do the first time? I know I wanted to DIE the first time I did Level 1, and I've just moved up to Level 2 because I was finding Level 1 "too easy". Hah, I *never* thought I'd say that a couple of weeks ago! Whatever you decide, keep going. You're doing a fabulous job.

RescuingLisa said...

I hear ya! I have been strugling to complete my monthly goals too - frankly, I struggle every month - but I make myself do them. It is more about completing your goals than anything else I find.

You can do this Meg... only 5 more...

Meg said...

Thanks everybody. I really needed some support today, and you're all so wonderful.

Sonya @ Eyes on the Hourglass said...

Don't be too hard on yourself for not being able to do level two as well as level one. I looked at your side bar and you only did level one for a week. That's not long at all...good for you for trying level two 6 times. 6 times dude, that's awesome!

Don't worry if you have to go back to level one if you have to. Yeah it sucks, but giving up sucks more!

I just had to go back to week four of the couch to 5K for god sakes...sucks bum...but whatever...we're moving are butts and that's all that matters!!!!

Sonya @ Eyes on the Hourglass said...

moving our butts that is...oops! :-)

Chicky said...

Try level 3!!! Haha. I'm (mostly) joking. I say mostly because it sounds like you hate plank. Maybe level three has moves you feel better about accomplishing?
Way to keep at it though.
I say make a choice...push to finish the goal and then decide from there how you feel, or re-evaluate now and move on to something else. Maybe in a few months, you'll decide you need the Crazy Lady back, and it will be there waiting for you!

Chicky
www.wanna-bethin.blogspot.com