Monday, July 5, 2010

I'm back!

Hello again! I'm back from my week of vacation, fresh and relaxed and a little bit tan - but mostly peeling, due to a wicked sunburn I got on the second day of our holiday. Oh, my pasty skin never fails to remind me that SPF 30 is mandatory!
 
I'm happy to report back that I survived the vacation, food-and-exercise wise, with no crazy binging. I was pretty concerned I'd fall off the wagon and set myself back significantly, but I'm really pleased with the way I held myself together. The first half of the vacation, I watched what I ate very closely, trying to pick healthier options like soups or salads where I could, or trying to limit my portion sizes when I didn't have much control over the menu. I did splurge on the spaghetti, but definitely didn't eat as much as I would have six months ago. I had a few little treats, but mostly watched my diet really carefully.
 
We also went on a few long walks, two hikes, and swam in a beautiful outdoor pool twice, so I tried to get in activity when I could.
 
The second half of the trip, I indulged a little more - we went for Mexican, I had ice cream (often), drank my fair share of wine. But I really enjoyed every bit, and again, tried to be reasonable in my portion sizes and choices.
 
I got on the scale this morning, even though my official weigh-in day is Wednesday. (I didn't take the scale with me in my suitcase...the sane side of my brain won that battle!) I deliberated for awhile over weighing myself today, knowing that the weekend was when I ate some of the more indulgent things and didn't get much exercise. But then I figured, I'd better assess the damage; otherwise, I might spend today and tomorrow saying, 'what the heck, I've already blown it. Might as well have some chips and cake..."
 
I was up less than a pound. Not bad for 10 days away! I'm sure that if I watch what I eat, work out a bit and drink a lot of water, by Wednesday I'll be back on the weight loss track, or at least quite close to it.
 
How was your Canada Day (or July 4th) weekend? Did you do anything special? How do you get back on track after a vacation?
 
 

3 comments:

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

Great job Meg!
It sounds like you made awesome choices while still allowing yourself to enjoy your holiday. That's how you make this a lifestyle :)
Glad you had a good time and good to see you posting again!

Snowflake said...

Awesome!!!! Glad you were able to make good choices and enjoy your holiday. Glad you enjoyed the long walks, hikes and swimming!!!

spotlessmind said...

Wow!! Congrats to you! That's super impressive. I just went on vacation with my boyfriend and came back WAY up in weight. It was shameful. You're awesome!