Monday, July 26, 2010

Is the honeymoon over?

The first few weeks of any weight loss program can be easy. Results are fast, everything is new and exciting. Turning down temptations and hitting the gym feels fantastic! The first few pounds and inches come off, and it's gravy, baby.

But then a few months go by. And things start to get...routine. That excitement of achieving something - another 10 minutes on the treadmill, another kilometer run, another pound lost or dress size down - starts to waver a little bit.

I think that part of the reason that I'm feeling my motivation to finish the 30 Day Shred waver is that sense of routine settling in. It's not exciting. It's challenging - god, it's hard! But it's not novel and thrilling anymore. In fact, sometimes, it's boring.

I've done the workout two more times since I wrote last week about not being sure if I could finish it this month. I've got 3 more workouts to do to meet the 10 I'm aiming for, but I'm going to be satisfied if I make it to 8. I've decided to cut out the goal of starting Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred this month, and try a few different things instead, like a cool water workout I found in a magazine. I need more variety, and feeling like I 'have to' do something often makes me want to do ANYTHING but.

Same with my diet. I had salads for lunch just about every day for two months, and now I'm just disinterested. Instead of turning to fatty fast food or unhealthy, empty calories, I'm trying to come up with some fresh ideas. I've been buying seasonal fruits and vegetables, and trying out new recipes to stay motivated.

I think it's important to recognize this about myself. When the bloom starts to come off the rose, it's crucial to find something else to keep yourself going. I'm 16.2 lbs closer to my goal weight, and I don't want to give up now because it's not as easy as it used to be.

Do you thrive on routine, or do you need to mix it up constantly? What do you do to stay motivated for the long term?

4 comments:

Deb said...

I completely relate to where you're coming from.

I actually think it's good to hit this state and recognize it. Fact is, eventually, we'll all hit maintenance and not only will the honeymoon be over, but so will the newlywed phase. Going through this now will help us gain the strategies and skills we need in the long run.

For me, I do thrive on a mix of routine and newness. Certain things I like to keep the same: I'll eat the same breakfast almost every day for months. Others, I need to keep changing or I get bored.

skichik79 said...

I relate ... I come from the weight watcher blog ...

Snowflake said...

Maybe you could find a group activity or someone to exercise with. I find it is much more difficult to "opt out" when there are others counting on me. And lunches need to have variety, I get too soon bored with the same thing and start looking for those cookies in the cupboard!!! Mix it up and keep going....you are doing fantastic!!!!!

Helen said...

Don't give up! It seems like you are close to goal!! I'm so envious that you even have the motivation to exercise, I have none at all, I have the desire to do so, but then, well I dont know, but I just get put off. Excuses!
What do you think of the 30 Day Shred? It seems tough, I'm thinking of buying it would you recommend it?

Check out www.laaloosh.com for recipe idea's and with exercising, don't make it a chore, try finding something you really enjoy or working out with a friend might help aswell.. (I should take my own advice)

P.S. Thanks for following, returned the favour! Your blog looks like some great material! :)