Monday, July 19, 2010

July Goal - New Recipe #1

This evening I tried out a new recipe. It's one of my goals this month to try three new low-point, vegetarian recipes.


Image Credit: Women's Health Magazine

This one is a keeper. Lime Biryani Salad, a curried quinoa salad with chickpeas, carrots, almonds and raisins (or craisins if you're me and have no raisins in the cupboard) with a zingy lime dressing. It was really good. Gary and I both gave it 4/5 stars, 5 being make it again tomorrow and 0 being make this again and we're relationship off.

I'd never made quinoa before, but was curious as it's a great source of fibre and protein. I can't make rice without the aid of a rice cooker, so I was a bit nervous, but it was pretty simple. The recipe is easy, doesn't have a lot of strange ingredients, is quick to make, and is mighty tasty. This makes 4 HUGE, satisfying meal-sized servings for 9 points. It's fresh tasting and perfect for summer.

I got the recipe from Women's Health, you can find it online here.

4 comments:

Lady Buttons said...

This looks divine, thanks for the recipe! Sigh. I love quinoa! :)

Meg said...

It was SO easy!

Deb said...

That looks delicious. I love quinoa. Did you know that you can also get a red and a black variety?

Meg said...

I didn't know it came in red or black! Does it taste different?