Tuesday, July 13, 2010

More popcorn...

Okay, since we've been on the popcorn theme this week, I thought I'd keep it going.

I often make microwave popcorn at work for an afternoon snack. I usually buy the 94% fat free Smart Pop or equivalent, in the mini bags. They're about 100 calories, 2 grams of fat, and because of the fibre content, come out to one point. One point for a salty carby snack? Colour me satisfied!

But plain popcorn can get a little boring. I like to jazz things up sometimes. Last week, one of my coworkers brought in Lime and Sea Salt flavoured popcorn. Also in mini bags. It smelled sooo goood that I walked out of my office in a zombie-like popcorn haze. POPCOOOOOORRRRN! I moaned.

She let me try some, because she's nice like that. And also, I think I scare her a little bit.



Holy Dinah. That popcorn was awesome. On Sunday, I checked out the nutritionals at the grocery store. Compared to my one point bag, this stuff had 140 calories (not bad) and over 10 grams of fat (I can't remember if it was 11, 14 or 19 grams of fat, but I didn't write it down. Blogger FAIL.)!

Plus, it came with a price premium. Not. Worth. It.

I decided I could probably make it at home. If all else failed, I could just sprinkle some lime juice and salt ON my plain jane popcorn.

Here's a recipe I found on Martha Stewart's website. Does anyone else have any awesome popcorn tweaks? Sometimes I sprinkle some parmesan cheese on it, and I've heard that hot sauce is another tasty add-on.

2 comments:

Bellini said...

YES!

http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2007/137/9/1179410585-77661_full.jpg

I use this! It's stove top popper- half a cup of kernals makes LOTS of popcorn for 110 calories- almost no fat- good in fibre- and if you add the seasoning and a little cayanne it's super heathly. :) Tastes better than movie theatre popcorn. You can buy it at zellers.

Lauren said...

I use an airpopper and sprinkle the popcorn with chili and garlic powders.

more than 10 g of fat in a mini bag is pretty gross.