Thursday, July 22, 2010

Popchips

I love chips - but they have to be plain, ripple chips. I occasionally will eat BBQ chips if I'm at a party and needing something salty and crunchy, but I don't dig the flavoured chips.

Before I started this healthy revolution of mine, one of my favourite ways to drown my sorrows was on the couch with a giant bag of ripple chips and a girlfriend to listen to me rant. Maybe a chick flick or two, add some gummy candies and you have perfection.

For obvious reasons, giant bags of chips aren't in my food plan anymore. I can and do eat chips, but in smaller servings and occasionally. Sometimes I buy those baked lays, but they just don't do it for me. They don't have that real chippy chippness to them, y'know? Almost soggy.

When I found single serving bags of Popchips at Shoppers while renewing a prescription, I figured I'd give them a try.



100 calories, 3 grams of fat and 1 gram of fibre for the bag (23 grams) is pretty good. So is the sodium content - 230 mg. At least, I think this is good. I've only recently started checking the sodium content on the things I eat.

I was skeptical. These chips aren't baked or fried, they're 'popped' using heat and air pressure. But they're pretty good. In fact, they're mighty tasty. Next time I've got a ripple chips craving, I'll head for a bag of these. I just wish they stocked them in more stores!

Have you ever tried popchips? What's your favourite junk food snack? Have you found a substitute for it, do you enjoy it in smaller portions, or have you banned it altogether?

6 comments:

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

I love Pop Chips! The bbq is my fave, but when I was in the US last week I bought the cheddar and the sour cream and onion which are also very good. My mom is like you and only likes the plain...I need some flavour :)

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb said...

I'm not a salty person, I'm a sweet person. I have basically banned things like chips altogether, not because I think I need to, but for me, they just aren't worth it.

On the other hand, if I'm going to have some junk food, it's probably going to be chocolate. That is worth it. In small controlled quantities.

Carmen said...

I'm with ya on the flavoured chip front, lady. Stick with salt. Salt flavour is good! I tried popchips on a camping trip and I was not disappointed. We definitely do not have single serving size bags here though.
For a snack, I've found I really like the smartfood popcorn clusters in honey multigrain. Almost taste caramel corn like...but with puffed wheat added in!

bre said...

I LOVE chips - mostly flavoured chips - dill pickle, salt and vinegar, pretty much every flavour but sour cream & onion actually... anyway, I've had those rice chip things. And found them pretty good - and they come in smaller bags and are better (ish). They don't have the satisfying crunch of chips though... maybe I'll have to try these popchips you speak of!

Meg said...

They were seriously good, guys. If you like chips, you'll like these. Apparently they come in all kinds of flavours, but I've only seen the BBQ at Costco and Shoppers.