Thursday, July 29, 2010

That sore feeling? It's a good thing.

Woohoo! Yesterday I reached two of my July goals. I've exceeded the number of minutes of exercise I aimed for this month, and I've attended 3 Zumba classes. Yay!
 
Last night's Zumba class was a killer! There were only 3 of us there, but I made sure to work extra hard. I don't know why I feel like I'll let the instructor down or something if I slack off if there are fewer people in the class, but it pushes me to work harder. I also had a blast. For the first time I could make it through a couple of the routines with a big smile on my face, instead of a screwed-up look of intense concentration.
 
The best part, though, came this morning. On my walk to work, I noticed that I was sore from working out. I used to absolutely dread that feeling. I don't like being uncomfortable. But I don't like being fat and out of shape even more. When I feel it the next day after a good workout, I know I've pushed my body a little bit. I've asked it to do more for me, and that somewhere down the line, I'll reap the rewards of that little bit of extra stress. I feel great. I'm proud of myself. What a change!
 
What's the biggest attitude or perspective change you've noticed? Do you like that post-workout soreness, even a little bit? Or do you loathe it?
 
And stay tuned, because tomorrow, I have something REALLY fun for you!!

5 comments:

Snowflake said...

Hurray for you!!! Keep up the good work and glad you enjoyed your Zumba.

Chicky said...

I get that morning after workout soreness, too. I like to tell people about it, but not in a complain-y type way, but a wow-that-was-rough-but-I-did-it type way.
Own it. I think the moment you don't have any type of soreness is the moment you need to change things up!

Way to go on the July goals as well, Meg!

Chicky
www.wanna-bethin.blogspot.com

Deb said...

I love the day after soreness. I really do. It's like a badge of honour. When I'm feeling it, I know I made a difference for my body.

The only time it bugs me is when it's bad enough to prevent me from doing whatever I had planned for the next day.

misssarahlou said...

I now love the next day soreness but I too used to hate it just like you. I used to think people who liked that feeling were a bit nuts, but I think really it is just an indication of pushing yourself which is definitely a good thing!

Meg said...

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one! :)