Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Right round, baby, right round



Yesterday I went to a spinning class at my new gym.

My butt is killing me. I sat down on a cement step at lunch today and I almost yelped. But hey - a 45 minute killer cardio workout is worth a little suffering.

I've tried spinning before, at the YMCA, and this was definitely more intense. The room is tiny. TINY. The bikes are packed in. You're about a foot from your neighbours on either side, and in front and behind. The room is hot, the music is loud, and the energy is amazing.

I had a great workout, and was very impressed by the instructor. It felt like she was making eye contact with me the entire time (despite the 30 other people in the room) and at the end of the class, she asked me how I thought it was. This woman teaches one class a week, but she knew that it was my first time in her class. That made me feel special, not singled out.

Spinning is great, because it's cycling. Have you ridden a stationary bike? You can do this class. You set your own tension and tempo. If you want to push, you can push; if you're looking for a recovery day, you can go a little easier on yourself.

If you're thinking about trying a spinning class, I say, go for it! When I started exercising more often in May, I prefered to do it alone, at home. Now I'm craving the rush from working out with other people, in a class atmosphere. I'm also really loving the treadmill - something I never, ever thought I would say.

5 comments:

BlossomBelle said...

I recently tried a spinning class at my gym as well. What a workout! My butt and quads burned for days. But look! Wesurvived!

Carmen said...

I tried spinning today too! I loved the class...but sadly my knee did not. Back to the pool with the hip replacement grandmas!

Carmen said...

I tried spinning today too! I loved the class...but sadly my knee did not. Back to the pool with the hip replacement grandmas!

Deb said...

Sounds like you're loving the gym membership. Way to go!

RescuingLisa said...

hummm... I've been debating spinning for a long while - I may just have to give it a try...