Friday, August 13, 2010

Runner? Me?


Image source

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

I think I want to be a runner.

I want to be one of those people who laces up their shoes over their lunch break and heads out with their ipods. I want to know that I can exercise anytime, anywhere, as long as I've got good shoes. I want to run in the early mornings when the world is calm and cool. You know, like meditating but not sitting still while I do it.

But runner fantasies aside, people who run have great bodies. It burns mega calories. It's hard, bone-mass building work. And without discrediting the amount of work running is, it seems like a great way to get a good workout in without spending nine hundred hours at the gym every week.

Plus, running seems like something that could develop into a habit, and then I could eat more nachos. Right?

But I am also so wimpy. I dislike being uncomfortable. And the big one: I hate running.

Deciding that I'm going to start running is taking me a really long time. I don't believe that everyone is a born runner - and I defnitely believe that losing weight will make it easier for me to run further and longer.

3 months ago I winced when I bought the 30 Day Shred. Well, I completed the first two levels and I didn't die. I've proven that I can do something even when I think it's really hard and will probably hurt and I might not love it, but it feels good afterwards.

What do you think? Should I stick with my dance-based aerobics and elliptical workouts on the weekends? Or should I bite the bullet and just Couch-to-5-K-it already?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg!
Just wanted to say, LOVE reading the blog...
I started C25K about 2 weeks after starting weight watchers with the theory that "there are no fat runners" so if one day I can say "I'm a runner" I won't be either. It's working! C25K keeps me motivated.. it's HARD, but it's so flexible, I've done several weeks over and over again until I can do it.. but it feels SOOOO good to finish a run! AND, I'm LOVING the time to myself (well, and now the new puppy :)
I'd say give it a try!

Goodluck!

Jams said...

Bite the bullet. You never know where running may take you. And if you do it and hate it, you can always stop... You know? Give it a chance. C25K is a great program! It gave me the basics I needed to train for my half-marathon (and I couldn't run for 2 minutes when I first started!).

Carolyn said...

Meg, I think we are extra hard on ourselves about running because we all used to run around when we were children. We've tricked ourselves into thinking it's natural. I think that's unfair.

For now, think of running as something you are learning. GIve yourself the gift of a learning curve like you do for everything else.

I did the C25K last summer. I turned an 8 week program into a 12+ week project but I did stick with it and I can proudly say now that I do enjoy lacing up and hitting the pathway.

C.

Valerie said...

Woo! Way to go!
C25K is great but if you're near a Running Room I really recommend signing up for their Learn to Run clinics (it's like $69 for 3 months)... I find the group exercise really motivating (i.e. people notice if you don't show up), it's fun/social, and you push yourself more when you're with a group (that good ol' competitive spirit). Plus once a week they do lessons on nutrition, what to wear, avoiding injury, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there!

PS: Love your blog (just discovered it last week)!

Deb said...

C25K it! I am a huge supporter of that program. I ran 25 minutes straight yesterday morning, and I NEVER considered myself a runner. I was the lazy kid in gym class that wouldn't run for more then 30 minutes straight.

I have 3 more weeks of the program and I signed up for a 5K race in about a month.

I have to say that I have come to LOVE running. So much so that I intend to keep doing it in the freezing cold of winter or in pouring rain. I get up at 5 am to do it on the weekdays I go and "sleep in" till about 6:30 when I run on weekends.

Deb said...

Umm, that comment should say that I was the lazy kid in gym class that wouldn't run for more then 30 SECONDS straight. I still haven't done 30 minutes - yet.

bre said...

I definitely recommend the Running Room Learn to Run class, you can do it with Gary, or you can sign up in the Women's class - I thought it was a great way to get me into the habit of running three times a week. And it got me way more comfortable with pacing.

I also found the "lessons" before every class super useful. Even the what to wear class that I thought'd be lame taught me how to dress for the weather.

I'm going to be signing up for a 10 km class in September - and I'm actually looking forward to it!

Alice said...

I would say it depends how you are about heat and humidity. If you don't like hot weather I would recommend waiting until the Fall to start running since it can be hard to learn to love something if the weather sucks for you.

I started running in the winter when it was cold and I could bundle up, but find it hard to do now that it's crazy hot all the time.

Erin said...

Try the couch to 5k - its a great goal :) I run regularly and love it, however I should warn you that you probably won't indulge in nachos if you are a runner - running makes you FEEL everything you eat, and things like nachos or french fries will make it really tough to run and you will end up quitting. So try to think of it as something fun in and of itself, and not as a means to eat more. I have been doing the 30-day shred too - I usually do the workout, then head out for a short run to get the maximum benefit out of a short workout :) Good luck!