Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WI # 13 - August 11, 2010


image source

This is pretty much how I felt this morning.

I know I over-did it on food this week, and under-did it on exercise. I wasn't expecting a loss. I was definitely expecting a gain - and so I wasn't surprised to see the scale up this morning: up 2.6 lbs.

Even though I anticipated a gain, it doesn't mean it makes me feel better about it. I'm end-results motivated, and no one wants the weight loss process to take forever! Sometimes I'll think about 'if I lose an average of 1.5 lbs a week, how long will it take me to get to goal? How about 2 lbs? What about .5 lbs a week?'

I like to look at my little graphs and charts and imagine that I can predict what weight I'll be at by Christmas.

But truthfully, I know that I can't predict that. I don't know what my body and the scale have in store for me each week. And that is really, really frustrating - but I'm accepting that. Because I have to!

The last time I did WW, I had a bad week. We had gone away to celebrate our anniversary at the Banff Springs hotel (seriously, you're going to want to google that!) and spent the weekend in the honeymoon suite, eating delicious gourmet food and indulging in their amazing Sunday brunch buffet.

When I got home, happy and relaxed, I knew I'd see a gain on the scale that week. So I didn't weigh in. I skipped it, thinking I'd make up for it in the week that followed and be down again.

I didn't step on the scale again for 14 MONTHS.

I'm proud of myself for knowing that I'd be up this week and still weighing in. I'm proud of myself for not freaking out, and for my initial response of 'oh, well! Zumba tonight, lots of water and veggies and healthy food this week, a few longer workouts and that number will be down again next Wednesday.'

It's been three months of WW, and I really do feel like the hurdles are getting less intimidating - not easier - but guys, I know I can do this. So can you.

7 comments:

RescuingLisa said...

Excellent attitude - life is all about the 'tude.... here we go - new week on plan.

You're right - we CAN do it!

Deb said...

Good for you for stepping on the scale. It hurts to see those numbers go up, but you are facing them and you'll bring them back down.

Anna said...

This is why I love reading your blog - you are so inspiring! This weigh-in may not be a victory in terms of weight, but it sure IS for life (and weight-loss too). :)

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

Great attitude Meg! I'm so proud of you for facing the gain and moving on to better things :) Here's to your new week!

Lady Buttons said...

Sigh. I feel your pain! I just started watching my cals and exercising in July, and had lost 5 lbs before going away on vaycay (NYC was awesome!) ... and woefully, resignedly got on the scale when we got back. And I was so sad to see I had gained it all back. Poooooop.

Normally, I'd throw in the towel, too, but I'm soldiering on (in no small part thanks to your blogging, btw!). I'm back down 3.5 of the gained 5, but man, it sucks to think of struggling through all those nausea-inducing shred workouts only to have to start again!

Heehee, I love the picture! That was me on the scale, too!

Meg said...

I big puffy sparkly heart you all.

misssarahlou said...

Great attitude, weighing in when you know you will see a gain is definitely an achievement, its hard to do, but sometimes we need to see that number just to jolt us back on the journey.