Friday, September 17, 2010

Pre-tracking for special events

Tracking seems to be on a few people's minds today!
 
Tonight Gary and I are celebrating a special little anniversary of sorts. We're dorks that way. We really like celebrating ordinary things with a special dinner date. It's a chance for us to get dressed up and really celebrate and enjoy each other. This time Gary's planning it, and it's a surprise. I don't know where we're going, only that we're going for dinner.
 
One of the things I do to stay sane while on weight watchers is to review the menu of a restaurant before we go, so that when I sit down at the table, I don't even need to look at the menu. That way I'm not tempted by the lucious lasagna or three-cheese pan bread or deluxe hamburger, and I'm happy with my spinach salad with strawberries and chicken or grilled fish with veggies.
 
The concern tonight is that I have no idea where we're going.
 
We usually go for steak (how Albertan!), so even though I don't know for sure what I'll order, I have a rough idea. On Wednesday, when my points re-set, I pre-tracked dinner for tonight. I was generous. I logged 4 glasses of wine, dessert, an average appetizer, bread, and the steak-potato-mushrooms meal I usually order when we're at a steakhouse. It used all my points for the day, plus almost all of my weekly points. This way, I knew that I couldn't 'afford' to splurge on a cookie yesterday afternoon, or an extra helping of sweet and sour meatballs on Wednesday night. I also know in advance that Sunday dinner with my parents at an Italian restaurant is going to have to be a conservative one, both portion size and menu selection-wise.
 
I know it's just one night, and it's a special night, so maybe I should loosen up a bit. But I'll be honest - as much as I am looking forward to a special, delicious dinner date, I'm a little nervous about making it through the rest of the week with no weekly points to subsidize what I get on a daily basis.
 
Guess it's soup and salad for lunch today and extra workouts this week!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Congratulations to a great couple. Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

Tammy said...

Congratulaions and enjoy your dinner. You are where I aspire to be. That is, 1)being on top of your food tracking and 2) planning ahead for known overages. If you do end up using all of your weekly points, like you said you good add some more activity. Have fun!

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

Pre-tracking is where it's at!

I hope you guys have a lovely evening together :)

I agree, if you need more points for the rest of the week you can always add in more activity to your plan to compensate.

Have fun!