Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The schedule

Yesterday morning I sat down with the gym's class schedule and my calendar and blocked out time in my book for the classes I wanted to take this week. I booked Zumba, Spin, even some time on the treadmill. I put the time into my outlook calendar, blocked it as 'out of office' and highlighted it in red so that I was sure to go to the gym. I set up my 'appointments' and was really looking forward to the week of workouts ahead.
 
Well, I do media relations, and that occasionally means my entire day can be derailed by a media request. This morning, that happened - great for me at work, bad for me in terms of gym time. I missed my spin class, didn't go get the salad I had planned for lunch, and was starving by the time we finished. I grabbed some soup at the coffee shop next door and went back to my desk to deal with the rest of the stuff that comes up in an average work day.
 
But now I'm exhausted. I've got 2 hours left in the day and I really, really don't want to go to the gym. But I didn't go on Friday, or on Saturday, and if I want to meet my goal of getting 25 sparkly leaf stickers on that old calendar at home, I've only got one more "free day" left.
 
I know that to fail to plan is to plan to fail, but I think I've got to work on my flexibility. It won't be an 8 AP day, but hopefully I can convince myself to cram in 30 mintues on the elliptical after work.


EDITED TO ADD:

Okay, I forced myself to go to the gym. I did a half-assed 30 minute program on the treadmill, but I broke a sweat and I'm not so exhausted anymore. I'm glad I told my coworker to walk me to the gym doors after work, without that accountability I never would have gone. Also, I'm glad I didn't listen to the little voice in my head that said "Ooh, you'll go after dinner! Don't worry about it!"

I know better, little voice. The only place I ever go after dinner is directly to the couch.

1 comment:

Jams said...

Way to go asking for help from your co-worker! And for getting to the gym.. a half-assed program is better than no program at all!

:)