Thursday, December 30, 2010

Toning Shoes



why yes, I do want a butt like that...

Contrary to my collection of as-seen-on-tv devices (Magic Bullet Blender, ShamWow!, SlapChop), I don't see myself as a person who buys into gimmicks.

I know that cutting corners might get you to your goal faster, but I know that doesn't often last. Putting in the work is really the only way to do things.

But I've seen so many ads for those toning sneakers that I'm starting to want a pair. And now they're on sale because of Boxing Week. And unlike the toning pantyhose I looked at the other day at the Bay, these actually seem like they might be useful.

I don't think that wearing them while I sit on the couch and eat chips is going to slim my thighs - don't get me wrong. But if I wore them on my walks to work, or to the gym, or shopping - do you think they'd really help with muscle conditioning? Or is it just a scam to make me buy more $100 runners?

Does anyone have them? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good, unbiased review of them? Are they going to end up killing my feet?

2 comments:

Deb said...

Totally my opinion and not based on much research:

I think they are totally a gimmick. A well marketed gimmick.

I think people are way better off getting shoes that are well designed for their feet and the activity they are doing. I really don't believe that they will make any significant difference beyond what you'd get from doing the same activities in regular athletic shoes.

I also think for some people they could actually cause problems. I mean, a lot of people need shoes that add stability (particularly for running). I have trouble seeing the wisdom in a shoe that takes away stability.

Rapunzel said...

I bought them because I needed new sneakers anyway and figured, what the heck? Well, after a couple weeks of chronic leg pain in an area where I had surgery years ago, I did some research and found that many people complain about these "toning" shoes causing pain, and not the good workout, muscle-burning kind. So I now have $100 shoes gathering dust in my closet.