Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blaming the Scale

I'm beginning to think that I need to buy a new scale.

I know that sounds like a cop-out - blaming the machine instead of taking responsibility myself. But there's got to be something wrong when I can step on the scale, step off, and then two minutes later step back on and be up 3 lbs. Right? Or am I crazy?

Just to clarify: I don't usually weigh myself every two minutes, but I was doing an experiment.

If I do buy a new scale, does anyone have any reccomendations? I'm currently using one I inherited from an old roommate, so I'm not actually very attached to it.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Try changing the battery first. Sometimes that helps the flucuations. Or take the battery out and then put it back in.

Carolyn said...

Weighing yourself every two minutes might turn out to be pretty good exercise...

I say do whatever it takes to get your to trust your process and stay on track. Heck I'll even sponsor your new scale purchase if it means you keep enriching my life with your writing.

Let me know which one you choose.

Meg said...

Carolyn - especially if I did the hokey-pokey between stepping on the scale!

Sarah - Batteries. Why didn't I think of that?! Genius idea, thank you!

Erin B said...

Do you move it? I remember my family doctor telling me that when a scale is moved it needs to be re-calibrated because it makes things go out of wack. But, I keep mine on it's side (!) in the bathroom. It's telling me I'm 23 weeks pregnant and haven't gained at all - but lost 10. Sorry, I'm never letting that scale go!

Carmen said...

I got a weight watchers one from walmart and I love it. It is super reliable! Plus, it is digital...so there is no guessing where the needle is actually pointing.

Deb said...

Did you eat a giant steak dinner, a few glasses of wine and a peanut buster parfait in those two minutes?

;)

If not, I'd agree that there is something wonky going on with your scale. Overall, it should still show a downward trend, but if it fluctuates by a couple pounds, it does little to let you know your progress week by week. I'd find that really frustrating.