Sunday, March 6, 2011

Splurges

Yesterday was a total high-calorie splurge day. And it was worth every bite.

We got up early and hit the gym. I do like starting Saturdays with a 9:30 spin class; it gets the workout out of the way, and I would never push myself that hard on my own, especially on a weekend.

In late December, Gary and I had dinner at a new burger place in Calgary - Five Guys Burgers & Fries. It's an American chain, and he'd been there with his coworkers. It was AMAZING. Then in January, we decided we were going to really give it our all on the healthy eating/exercising front, and that was the end of burgers and fries for a long time.

Several weeks ago, we decided we'd splurge and go back to Five Guys in March - and god, it was worth it. Yesterday's hamburger was awesome. I'd gladly give up fast-food fries and cheeseburgers forever for a burger like that three or four times a year.

Important lesson to learn, right?

Then we had some friends over for dinner and I wanted to try out a lemon cake recipe I'd been looking at for awhile. I wouldn't bake just for Gary and I - that's too tempting - but for friends? Sure!

It was equally yummy. And totally worth the points! I didn't go over my weekly points, so if it means I have to have three more strict days until weigh-in, that's fine. It was worth it, and I feel no guilt about splurging on good, wholesome, honest-to-goodness treats instead of a lame bag of cheetos and ridiculous 15 point lattes.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You have to give and take in your relationship with food and weight loss right?
You gave up on the burgers for a while then you treated yourself properly, but not having it for a long time. It was worth the indulgence! Good for you!!

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

I think you have a great attitude about this Meg. I agree, it's totally fine (and necessary) to pick and choose your splurges carefully. Some of them totally aren't worth it and some of them make your life lol :)

Mmmm burgers....

Need to Get ME Back said...

I love Five Guys! I had a similar weekend with a planned splurge that was worth it. But back on track with points counting now!