Thursday, April 7, 2011

I'm just really not that into you

Dear Weight Watchers,

I need to tell you something, something I've been thinking a lot about lately. This isn't working for me. We're taking a break.

It's not you, honestly. It's me.

You've been a great program. You worked for me in the past, and I'm confident that when I need you again, you'll work for me in the future.

But right now, you're just not what I need.

Please understand,

Meg


So I've made a decision. This morning, after I meticulously copied my 11 months of weigh-in results and measurements over to an excel file (no export function?! thumbs down), I cancelled my Weight Watchers membership.

This is not to say that I don't think it's a great program. It's also not to say that I think it's "not working for me" - I'm not working for it.

I've always liked the Points system. I like that I don't have to count calories and fat grams. Because that seems hard and messy and it's so much easier to say, "I get 34 points a day!" rather than "My daily caloric intake is between 1400 -1700 calories."

But lately I've felt that it's just too simple. I'm not really paying attention, day-to-day, to what I put into my body. I think "meh, I can have this giant plate of fries, I've got the weeklies for it!" instead of "what have I eaten today, am I on target, have I fulfilled my basic needs first before I have treats?"

Not only am I, and all Weight Watchers users, capable of counting calories, and fat grams, and my daily percentage of carbohydrates - I want to. I want to see what percentage of my daily intake is coming from protein. I want to know if I'm eating a balanced diet, not just checking off boxes beside veggie servings. I want to be able to look at charts and graphs.

So I've decided to start using SparkPeople to track what I'm eating. It's not perfect, because nothing is. It is free, but I have no problem spending $25 or $50 a month to lose the weight. For me, that's not the issue.

I need a change. I've been tracking with SparkPeople since Friday, and I like it. I like the daily reports - at a glance, I can see if I had too much fat that day, or not enough protein. I like that it breaks out the daily calorie intake by meal - so 30% of my calories that day went to breakfast, etc.

And, I like that yesterday morning I weighed in at 205, down 2.2 lbs, and now an even 25 lbs lost.

I know it has nothing to do with not being on Weight Watchers - I could have achieved the same results if I'd been thinking really hard about what I was eating and diligently tracking - but I haven't been doing those things. And even when I have been, I haven't been seeing results.

So here it goes, the experiment. I need you guys to keep me accountable, though. I'm giving myself 3 months. If I fall off the bandwagon for more than 2 weeks, it's back to WW. If my weight gets up to 213, it's back to WW.

I'm not giving up, I'm trying something new. And I think that this might be the kick in the pants I need to make it to Onederland and beyond...

12 comments:

Amanda@BustingThroughIt said...

I think it's best to do what you feel is best :)

Sparkpeople is great too, so detailed and thorough.

You'll do great Meg! And good for you for finding something that works for you, instead of just sticking with the same old thing.

We're here for you :)

Duckys said...

I think you can do it!!! No, I know you can do it. I also think a change for some people is good at times. It makes you rethink what you have been doing.

Carolyn said...

Guess who's got your back? Carolyn's got your back.

Need to Get ME Back said...

I hear you on this one. I am doing WW but I am doing my own modified version. Sometimes I eat less than my daily points, I hardly ever use weekly pts. I just try to eat healthy rather than sneak in bad foods that will be within my pts. I say do what works for you! It sounds like you are trying to be even healthier by quitting WW so good luck!

Natalie | The Bobby Pin said...

I love the Sparkpeople App on my iphone!

You gotta do what works best for you.

MissHaneefa said...

Sounds like a plan. Congrats on your loss. Let us know how everything goes. Have a great weekend!

Alice said...

Good luck! You'll rock it! A change might just be exactly what you need.

Snowflake said...

Just finished looking at Sparkpeople. It looks great, a good change for you (and maybe me, too!!). Good luck!!!!

vancityrockgirl said...

i also dropped WW recently. actually, i gave up on it when they changed the points system. i don't like the new system and i absolutely hate that i couldn't access the e-tools from my iphone.
i joined spark people, but haven't used it yet. i'm interested to hear how you like it.

SmilingErin said...

Hi Meg,
I have recently given up WW too. It worked fantastically for me for a looooong time, but last fall I stopped seeing results. I wasn't following it properly, and my exercising had become a bit of an obsession - probably a disorder. I tried the new plan when it came out, hoping that it would be a good change, but never really got anywhere.
Right now I'm working on getting in touch with the reasons why I'm eating, and like you focusing on eating a balanced, nutritious diet. I'm exercising because it makes me feel good and I know it will help my body, not because I'm trying to earn points to make up for something I ate the day before. So far I haven't really lost weight, but I've definitely stabilized, and I feel much better mentally!

Karen@WaistingTime said...

Sometimes change is a good thing:)

bre said...

We need an update on how your new plan is going! :)