Saturday, April 2, 2011

Reasons Why

When I got up this morning, I was thinking about why, exactly, I want to lose weight. Last year at this time, I made a list of all the reasons why I wanted to make weight loss a priority, and I think the time has come to re-evaluate that list and make a new one.

I want to wear a bikini on our honeymoon.

I want to be able to do active, exciting, adventurous things and not feel like my weight or fitness level will hold me back.

I want to be healthy and fit.

I want to have a healthy pregnancy (many years from now).

I want to be proud of myself.

I want to feel like I've achieved a goal I've set.

These are just a few of my reasons. I have a strong image in my mind of myself on vacation, somewhere hot, wearing a cute sundress and dancing and just generally being happy and healthy and glowing and confident. I think that the next time I want to binge on poutine, I'll try my best to remember that mental image, and that it can be a reality. I can be that woman.

Do you use visualization to help you stick to your goals?

3 comments:

stackofpennies said...

I love your reasons. I think it's a great idea to re-evaluate at this point. you've got me thinking about my own reasons..... ponder ponder. :)

Deb said...

I absolutely do. I have a combination of fitness goals and superficial appearance goals. I think your list is a good mix of the tow as well.

You know, it is taking a long time, but sometimes I think it takes a while for your body to catch up with your mind. I'm in the same kind of rut. It's well over a year since I started my weight loss journey and I still have 30ish pounds to lose. Not where I pictured myself, but the changes in my psyche have been huge.

Nicole said...

Hi Meg, I just stumbled across your blog (don't ask me how) and can relate. I've been using visualization as well... I recently stopped WW since it wasn't working well for me anymore. Now, I write down a goal each day (such as "if I need a snack, I will eat fruit or veg") and simply write down what I ate (no points or calories). I do try to focus on eating wholesome, unprocessed foods. I find that making small healthy goals each day helps me develop good habits. With WW (which is great for some people), I found myself caring more about the points than actually developing healthy eating habits. Anyway, just thought I'd share what's working for me now!