Tuesday, May 31, 2011

a pretty good start

So day one back at it went pretty well.

It was hard. Spin class was hard, and it hurt. A lot. Not going for a latte (gasp) was hard, but I lived. Skipping the free hors d'oeuvres and wine at an event after work was nearly impossible, but I sipped diet coke and got on with my life.

I chewed gum and drank water all afternoon, when I usually reach for a snack. I made the prescribed healthy dinner of salmon, quinoa and sauteed spinach, and when Gary mentioned going to the store to get ice cream or a snack, I did not cave in. (Neither did he, in the end)

I made it through. And I'll do it again today, and tomorrow, until this becomes second nature.

I'd been avoiding the scale, as I mentioned. I weighed myself yesterday, and I'm at 211, which is 3 lbs up from where I was at the beginning of April. It's not a catastrophe.

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. It's not an original saying, by any means, but I've got it pinned up on my board at work. And I'm trying to remember this, when it gets hard and I want to quit.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Way to go! That first week back on track is always the hardest. Looks like you're getting through it strong.

Sarah said...

Way to get back at it!!

One step at a time!

bre said...

Woo hoo Meg! I can't believe you turned down wine... more will than I have! :) You have motivated me to head back to the gym... sadly I haven't been in about 2 months. (YIKES!) AND I've signed up to run a 10km race in August, so that should motivate me to get running. So happy you're back blogging - I've missed you!