Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Am I really hungry?

Last night after Gary and I got home from the gym, I was so hungry that I almost fell over. I'm not exaggerating - I was the kind of stomach scraping, lightheaded, seeing-spots hungry. I was irritable and couldn't focus.

I quickly made dinner, a grilled chicken salad with a side of polenta, and stuck to it.

I am so rarely *honestly* hungry that sometimes I forget what it feels like. There's an abundance of food everywhere, and again, I'm fortunate enough to be able to fill that void, often before it even becomes a void.

But it made me think - from a dieting perspective, I know that I often think I'm hungry, but really, I just want the pleasure of eating. I say that I'm staaaarving, but really, it's that I'm thinking that a cookie would taste good right now.

Last night, I would have devoured a giant plate of broccoli. Plain baked fish. Cabbage soup. Whatever. It was less about what I was craving - I was truly hungry, and my body needed food, and fast.

It was a good lesson, I think.

Today I am doing a little bit better; my lunch seems to be holding me over pretty well.

But I'm attending an event this afternoon (TV Station Season Launch) at a restaurant. Free food. Free drinks. Did I mention the food is being prepared by celebrity chefs?

But I'm not going to indulge. I'm going to stick to gum and diet coke. I've got a damn good reason to stay 'good' today - and I'll tell you that reason tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alice said...

It's Thursday! What's the reason for having to stay good?

Bellini said...

You're a tease Megan Bailey.