Monday, June 13, 2011

Clothing Swap

Sunday afternoon I went to a local Clothing Swap event. Every six months or so, a local group holds a city-wide clothing swap. You can trade your old clothes, accessories and shoes item for item for something new.

Before we moved last month, I went through my closet and pulled 50 items that I wasn't wearing anymore, either because they were too big, or just no longer something I wanted to wear. I bagged them up, dropped them off, and was rewarded with 34 tickets for new items on Sunday (the remaining 16 items that were 'rejected' were donated to charity).

I was really looking forward to the Swap, but yesterday when I got there, I was disappointed. I found 6 pieces - 3 dresses, 1 pair of shoes, 1 skirt, and a blouse.

Most of the clothing was a size M or smaller, and everything that was in my size range was either a bit frumpy or the clothes that I had previously owned. One of the dresses I bought fits, the other one is a bit tight but wearable with the help of spanx, and the third, a formal bronze and green lace strapless number that Gary says looks like a medieval fairy-princess dress, is about 15 lbs too small.

But that was my intention, to find a few things that I could shrink into. It's nice to have a few target items in my closet, because I don't have skinny jeans that I used to fit into but don't anymore. I've basically always been this size - so now I have a few other measures than just the scale.

I felt down for part of the afternoon, but whatever. I don't think I'll go to the next swap, but it was worth a shot, right?

No comments: