Friday, June 17, 2011

A fish dish

Tonight I made a great dinner. It might have been so delicious because we ate it sitting at our brand new dining room set, but there's a chance it was just really good.

I was flipping through my cookbook collection last Sunday, trying to find something different to make. Baked fish kept sticking out to me, but I am growing weary of salmon, the only fish I know how to make (and enjoy eating). I don't like spending money on meals I'm not sure I'll enjoy, but I really wanted to try something new.

I've been a fan of the Looneyspoons Cookbook series for a very long time, and in my copy of Eat, Shrink and Be Merry, I found a recipe called In Cod We Trust.

I made a few modifications, replacing the Special K the recipe asked for with some whole-wheat bread crumbs, because I had stale whole wheat bread and did not have Special K. I even used frozen cod, because Alberta is land locked and I didn't want to spend a fortune on fresh fish that was frozen at one point, anyway!



Served with a quick salad made from spring mix lettuce, sliced strawberries, some cucumber and toasted pine nuts, dressed in a simple oil and vinegar dressing, it was a fantastic Friday night dinner.

Baked Cajun Fish

Cod pieces
2/3 cup buttermilk (or skim milk with a tbs of vinegar - again, no buttermilk in the house)
zest from one lemon
1 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
1 tbs cajun seasoning
1/4 cup (or less) grated parmesan cheese

Spray a baking sheet with Pam and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a shallow dish or large bowl, combine milk and lemon zest. Place cod in milk, turning to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes.

Combine bread crumbs, cajun seasoning and cheese in a bowl.

Press fish, one piece at a time, into the bread crumbs. Only coat one side. Place fish crumbs-side-up on baking sheet.

Spritz with oil or Pam or drizzle with a bit of melted butter. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.

Deeeefishious.

5 comments:

alisonds said...

Yum! That looks delicious! x

Thomas S. Moore said...

The dish looks and sounds delicious. Or maybe it was the new dining room set. Great portion on the plate. What kind of drink is that in the photo?

-Thomas
Waist Hips & Thighs

Meg said...

Hi Thomas - it's beer! Alexander Keith's IPA.

Thomas S. Moore said...

Thanks! I have never had that one before will look for it and give it a try.

PlumPetals said...

Yum! Looks great - will have to try it out!