Friday, June 3, 2011

I didn't mean to tease...

But anticipation is totally the best part.

So the event I went to? Full host bar. That meant whatever you wanted to drink - WHATEVER, caesars, wine, beer, cocktails, mixed drinks, hiballs - was free. The food was prepared and served by 3 chefs from the Food Network, also free.

And it was insane. Crab legs. Fresh oysters. Cheeses. Battered, breaded, delicious, all of it.

And I had one small piece of chicken on a stick and a diet coke. Victory!

The whole time, inside my head I was repeating a key phrase to myself.

I have two very good reasons to skip the free booze and food. One, of course, is that I'm getting married next July. My mom and I decided we'd start dress shopping in September - three short months away. I want to lose weight for the wedding, absolutely. I want to look my best, and I want dress shopping to be fun, not frustrating. Sure, that's a motivator.

But there's another reason.

In mid-September, I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding. The other bridesmaid is Gary's ex-girlfriend.

I am not her biggest fan. I won't go into it, but I'm sure you can imagine how I feel. Imagine how it would feel - not only are you attending a wedding where your partner's ex will be there, but you're wearing the same outfit.

I will be standing beside her, wearing this dress:





And I will be dammned if I don't look absolutely fabulous in it.

So the mantra I've been repeating in my head when I turn down another glass of Merlot?

"You have to look better than her. Don't you want to look better than her? Don't eat that. You need to look better than her."

Immature? Maybe.

Motivating?

Oh, hell yes.

2 comments:

Alice said...

That is the BEST reason I've heard in a long time, other than be healthy and happy blah blah! Let's get real. Nothing like showing up the ex! :) Good luck in your journey and you are going to look smokin hot in that dress, you just wait! Keep up the great work and we're here if you ever need mental support!

PlumPetals said...

I agree with Alice!! Great to keep that in mind as a way to resist cravings - the satisfaction of looking great will be much sweeter than anything else tastes!!