Monday, July 11, 2011

The 17 Day Diet: Cycle One, Day One

Day One shook down like this.

6:20 AM - Wake up.
6:25 - hot water with lemon juice. I was surprised by how disgusting this was. I like lemon water, and I often drink it at room temperature. But hot was entirely different. I choked it down, however, and moved on to a breakfast of 2 eggs that I scrambled with sliced fresh mushrooms and some baby spinach, topped off with a scoop of salsa. I also had a big glass of water and a cup of coffee, with a splash of skim milk (not technically allowed) and some splenda (also not technically allowed, but Truvia/Stevia makes me quite ill and I had it, so I used it.)

Thoughts: this breakfast was delicious. Fast, filling, spicy. I need a new, smaller non-stick frying pan because the giant stainless steel skillet isn't the greatest for frying eggs. So far, so good.

9:00 AM - Green tea. I don't love green tea. It makes me feel queasy, and sometimes I actually think I might throw up. But the book recommends it with every meal, so I subbed out my coffee for a cup of green Zen tea at Starbucks. It was quite soothing on my sore throat, but sure enough, after about an hour I felt nauseated.

9:00 - 5:00 - lots of water. Plain, cold water. About 3 L of it.

10:30 AM - 1/2 cup yogurt. I was starting to feel hungry so I had half of my morning snack.

11:30 AM - 1 apple. The other half of my morning snack.

1:00 PM - Salad made of lettuce and baby spinach, cucumber and cherry tomatoes, with turkey breast. Really could have used some dressing of some sort, and I'm not a dressing fan. I will be adding salsa or oil and vinegar to this tomorrow. I also had a serving of cherries, which I don't think are technically a "low sugar fruit" but they were in the fridge and I didn't want them to go bad. Cherries are expensive!

3:00 PM - 1/2 cup yogurt.

4:30 PM - baby carrots. I'm hoping that this will hold me over at the gym and until dinner tonight. So far, I'm feeling pretty good. Visions of cookies dance in my head, but I drown them with water. I am powerful. I can do this. I can do anything for 17 days. I keep repeating that to myself.

5:30 PM - 45 minute elliptical workout. Very, very hard - by the last 5 minutes I was holding on to the handrails for dear life. But I finished it!

7:00 PM - More water and 1 tbs natural peanut butter. Verboten. I was starving and felt like I was about to keel over, so I needed something quick. I figured this was the lesser of all the evils in the cupboard (which includes a Skor bar, wtf! Why did I buy it?)

7:45 PM - Salmon with lemon pepper seasoning, roasted cauliflower, green salad. I was absolutely famished by the time dinner rolled around. Note to self: eat a larger snack later in the afternoon. Eating dinner earlier isn't likely because of the time we go to the gym, but I will have to find some way to re-schedule my meals so I am not left with a growling stomach and light head.

After eating, I felt a bit uncomfortable and bloated. Which is weird, given the amount of water I had consumed, but I guess I did eat a big plate of cauliflower which can cause, er, fun for the digestion sometimes.

Overall, it was a pretty good day. I was only *hungry* in the evening before dinner, and my cravings for sugary, processed baked goods wasn't too bad in the afternoon when it is usually my downfall.

2 comments:

Snowflake said...

Way to go...1 day down, 16 to go!!! You can do it!!!

Anonymous said...

It's only 17 days! I keep telling myself that too. I'm on Day 7, and have lost 8lbs! The first four days were hard for me, but now I feel satisfied all of the time with no cravings.

Stay with it. . .it works! I too hate the hot lemon water. :)