Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 2: When Tortilla Chips Attack

Today was good and bad, in waves. I had a great breakfast that filled me up until lunch, which I took at 1:00. I was definitely hungry by that point.

I felt light-headed and distracted all afternoon, and then this evening I'm feeling great again. I need to start packing some kind of protein-based snack for the mid-afternoons, maybe a hard-boiled egg or some chicken breast.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with mushrooms and half a bell pepper, lemon water, coffee.
Snack (mid-morning): 1 cup cherries
Lunch 1: 1 cup plain yogurt with 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup carrots
Lunch 2 (at 3:00): 3 cups romaine, 1/2 bell pepper, turkey breast, balsamic dressing, 1/2 cup yogurt.
Dinner: 1 cup ground turkey with taco seasoning, 3 cups romaine lettuce, 1 tbs mozzarella cheese (technically you're supposed to use fat-free cheese as a condiment, but part-skim is the closest one can get, and it was a tiny bit), 4 multigrain tortilla chips.

Drinks - 3.5 L water, 1 cup earl grey tea

Yes, I caved and had 4 of the mini tortilla chips. They were on the table for Gary's salad, but I LOOOVE multigrain tostitos and couldn't resist. But I did stop at 4, a far cry from inhaling half a bag. Plus, he's put them away somewhere and I don't know where - not that I advocate hiding food, but if I don't know what cupboard they are in, I'm less likely to head there mindlessly.

I think I did great today. I did daydream of toast for an embarrassingly long time this afternoon, but I did learn that I will not die if I skip my afternoon cookie.

In fact, as my friend Dana said - I'm probably more likely to die if I DO have a cookie every single afternoon. Being overweight, and all its associated health risks, is a real killer. ;)

5 comments:

MissHaneefa said...

Looks like you are doing a great job! I think that I am going to check out this book...

Alice said...

I hear you on the afternoon cookie. I've gotten used to them because of my pregnancy so now I'm trying really hard to break that habit. Good luck on your first cycle!!

Deb said...

I wouldn't have stopped at 4... Nice job.

PlumPetals said...

Hi! Just came across your blog as I was looking for motivation as I continue my what-feels-like-forever journey on getting healthy and losing weight. Love love love your blog posts - I've also started blogging about attempts at losing weight - as I said, I'm just looking for motivation anywhere.
Keep up the great work :)

bre said...

I keep a container of nuts & dried fruit in my desk drawer at work - it's a great afternoon snack because it has the sweetness I crave & protein I need.
I also add nut butter to my smoothies vs. protein powder - it's still adding a protein, but it also adds a delicious taste! :)
Great job Meg!!