Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tortilla Chips, Redux

C1D3 (cycle 1, day 3) was full of challenges.

I spent the afternoon at a Stampede BBQ hosted by one of our media partners. It's the biggest party we get invited to every year, and the food is AWESOME. Free burgers, hotdogs, smokies, cookies, ice cream, chips, candy...and booze. All the free booze in the world, apparently.

I took a little baggie of turkey breast strips and filled my plate with raw veggies, and sipped a diet coke. Oh, diet coke, my delicious nemesis. But in the grand scheme of things, if it kept me from diving headfirst into a tray of smokies, then so be it.

After the party, where I was oh-so-well-behaved, I met up with Gary and a friend of ours and we hit a patio for dinner. The restaurant?

My favourite mexican restaurant.

I almost died. Seriously. But I tried, very hard, to make the best choices I could. Water instead of margaritas. A salad with chicken instead of nine hundred tacos. 4 tortilla chips (this appears to be the magic number) instead of an entire basket.

The salad had cheese on it, but I tried my best to eat around it. I'm sure the chicken, which was shredded and in a sauce, wasn't exactly strictly diet friendly, but it was delicious. And I only ate half of it, stopping when I was satisfied, not full.

I'm proud of myself. And today, I'm not sitting here wishing that I'd eaten a smokie. The food will always be there.

Breafast: smoothie made with protein powder, yogurt, 1 cup frozen berries, water.
Lunch: 3 cups romaine lettuce, 1 cup ground turkey, salsa
Snack: 1 cup plain yogurt with mixed berries
Snack: raw veggies
Dinner: salad with chicken, veggies, hot sauce

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Wow, that is some serious self control...and during Stampede week to top it all off! Great work Meg!

Anonymous said...

that's such a good way to look at it, you rarely regret *not* eating something (even something yummy!)

PlumPetals said...

I think you did amazing! I'd find it so hard to resist all that food - especially Mexican! I think your last sentence sums up the right attitude to have - The food will always be there.
Great job :)