Sunday, November 6, 2011

How do you eat an elephant?

It's an old joke, I know. But obviously it's still around for a reason.

I made it to the gym four times this week - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I completed Week Two of the Couch25K program. I tried to remember some old tricks, like drinking tea instead of hitting the vending machine for an afternoon snack.

But this is the big breakthrough for this week - reminding myslf that if it's not really that good, don't eat the rest of it.

I think a lot of us were raised not to waste food. My mom and dad weren't enforces of a "clean plate club" but I do recall offering to box up my leftover pork chop and peas and carrots for the starving children of Ethiopia. They can have it! I don't want it!

Eating until I'm satisfied and then stopping is really hard for me. Even, disturbingly, when I'm eating something isn't that great. So it was a pretty big deal for me when multiple times this week, I pushed my plate away because I was either no longer hungry, or not really and truly enjoying what I was eating.

Portion control is one of my next goals - I've got to get my portions back in check. They've inflated again, and that's a great step to getting my diet back on track.

So back to that elephant - I'll get there. One bite at a time.

2 comments:

MissHaneefa said...

I have a hard time with not eating everything on my plate also, especially when I go to a restaurant and I have paid for the meal. Looks like you are doing everything you should be. Good luck this week.

Megs said...

I'm glad you're back. I was also regularly checking to see if you had updated :) Keep it up.