Sunday, November 20, 2011

In Arizona

I've been in Phoenix this week, visiting my snowbird parents. It's been lovely. I packed my gym clothes and sneakers and thought I'd get a good amount of time in at the gym, but to my surprise, this vacation has been anything but lounging by the pool and reading books. We've been up and on the road sight-seeing, going to potlucks and jam sessions and to ghost towns. There hasn't been a ton of time for running, but I'll pick it back up when I get back to snowy, frozen Calgary.

I haven't necessarily been eating the most diet-friendly foods, either. But I'm trying to remember to stop eating when I'm satisfied, not over-stuffed. The portion sizes I've encountered are ENORMOUS, so it's important to remember that I don't have to eat the whole thing.

I've got a few more days here, and then it's back to reality, and the pre-Christmas blitz of parties and sweets and speciality seasonal coffees. What's your strategy this year for dealing with the holiday temptations? One bite? Total willpower? Or swearing to starting again in January?

3 comments:

Deb said...

This Christmas, I think my strategy is to take it one temptation at a time. I will keep my home pretty clean, and free of treats. That way I'm on safe ground most of the time.

Then, I'm going to make decisions prior to going to parties - like I'll have a bit of the desert if it's something I like, but none of the extra munchies and sweets before. Or, if it's not that special an occasion, I'll skip it altogether. The big thing for me will be to have a plan when I go into tempting places.

Also, not eating more then I need to be satisfied. That can be a bigger issue for me then the junk is.

I'm also trying to stay very training focused, and I know that how I eat 24 hours before a run, spin or swim has a big effect on how I feel during it. That helps me keep things in line a bit more. I almost always have a workout coming within the next 24 hours.

Last year, I tried to be totally free of treats. It worked, to a point. But, I'm in a different mindset now.

Bre Lee O'Reilly said...

I think we're going to do similar things - keep our house free of temptations, I'll probably make one batch of Kev's favourite cookies, but that's it. At other people's houses/work I'm only going to eat treats I actually like (this seems like an easy concept, but more often than not I find myself taking a square/cookie/chocolate just because they're there and I don't even like them! I'm also going to stay active.

JordanSky said...

I think I've done the cop out thing I've avoided the partying. Hi new follower.Deliciously Happy