Sunday, January 29, 2012

Starting from Scratch

I stepped on the scale at the gym on Friday night and scoffed. It must be broken, I thought. It's definitely not the same as the scale at home, I reassured myself.

And then on Saturday morning, I checked the scale at home - for the first time in several months - and surprise, surprise. The scale at the gym was bang on.

225.

That's almost right back where I started in 2010.

Utterly depressing, right?

Well, yes. And, no.

I'm all for a fresh start. I've had dozens of fresh starts. But I sort of reassured myself when I fell off the wagon, knowing that I'd "maintained" my weight loss for over a year.

I've stopped maintaining, and put on about 10 pounds since October. That's a wakeup call that I definitely needed, knowing that I can't eat whatever I want and stay the same weight - even if it was a weight I wasn't exactly happy with.

So instead of getting depressed and heading for the chips, I've decided it's time to get real with my bad self.

I got dressed and headed out to Michael's to pick up a few things I'd need to motivate myself.

This is the first tool I'll be using. I got the idea from my friend Carmen, who got the idea from here.



Inside this glass container are 450 rocks. I know, I counted them each individually. Each rock represents a tenth of a pound - so 45 pounds. Every week, I'll remove from the jar the appropriate number of rocks - if I lose .40 of a pound, I'll take out 4 rocks. If I'm down 5 lbs (hahahaha) I'll take 50 out of the jar. And then, one day, that jar will be empty.

Something I've always had trouble with is the notion that smaller losses are just as good as larger ones - because they're more sustainable. If I'd lost even .2 pound/week for a year, I would have lost 10 pounds, not put them back on.

So this tool is going to serve to remind me of that fact. It's sitting in my living room right now, but it's going to move around. Maybe the dining room. Maybe the kitchen counter. Maybe the bathroom. Wherever I need to see it, to be reminded of my goals.

I've got a few other tools that I'll be using to get on track and stay motivated, so check back later this week. I can't WAIT to share good news with you :)

3 comments:

Deb said...

I love the jar idea. :) Those are pretty stones too. Have you thought of any way to use them after they come out of the jar?

Meg said...

Thanks!

I think I'll keep the ones that come out in another jar, in the bathroom or something. When they're all out and I've reached my goal, I think I'll make a decorative thing out of them, maybe use them in a bamboo plant, to remind me of the process and how far I came.

MissHaneefa said...

This is a really good idea. I think it is catching on because after reading it on your blog I have seen it on another blog or two. I wish you all the best and we are hear for you!