Saturday, February 18, 2012

Bridal Buffing

I love a long weekend. I especially love a long weekend with nowhere to go - with both our families living in different provinces, Gary and I spend most long weekends of the year driving to his mom's in BC, or my parents' house in Saskatchewan. But this weekend, we are home, with no major plans, and it feels so good.

This morning we slept in, which was heaven. Finally we got up and headed to the gym.


image source

I did 30 minutes of cardio and then did a strength training workout. For this past week, I've been using an App I bought, and I'm really liking it so far.

As we all know, I'm a bride-to-be, and though I've managed to keep my stack of bridal magazines to a paltry four - and I bought almost all of them before we actually got engaged - brides are kind of a walking target for wedding-themed stuff. I've been good at restraining myself for the most part, but this one I sprung for.

The app is called Shape Bride, and it was produced by Shape Magazine. It was something like $1.99, so I hit "buy" one night and figured that I might as well see what it was like.

I really enjoy using it. It's an eight-week plan, with 3 strength training workouts per week (you do the same routines for the first four weeks, then there's a new set for the second four weeks), and three suggested cardio workouts. There's also an abs and core section, and then some bridal planning tips that I am completely ignoring because I really don't need another reminder that I have a ton of stuff to do and am rapidly running out of time.

You do each one of the three strength training routines a week, on non-consecutive days. They're all different, but hit the same major areas - arms, shoulders, back, legs (lunges and squats, damn you!) and a core exercise. Pretty much the basic areas any lady wearing a dress that may not be or might be strapless - and may have long lace sleeves, but maybe it doesn't - or maybe she's wearing a cape, I dunno, you can still do that in July - is concerned about toning up.

I'm doing my own thing for cardio right now, because I like to hit a zumba class at least once a week, but aim for at least 3 sessions lasting 30 minutes or longer a week.

The routines are easy to follow, the app doesn't require internet, which is great because I just have an iPod touch and the gym has no wifi. I'm definitely feeling it in my arms and my thighs!

I don't have the money to hire a personal trainer right now, and for 2 bucks, I'm satisfied. The routines can be done at home or at the gym - you need hand weights, a resistance cord, a bench or chair and a mat.

If you're not a bride, there are other Shape apps, like a "little black dress" workout, a pilates app, and one that focuses on the lower body. I'll definitely be checking them out when this wedding is over.

I was not compensated in any way for this blog post, I just thought this was a cool product and wanted to share.

3 comments:

MissHaneefa said...

I really like the new look of the blog. Great job on the workout.

Alice said...

Keep rocking those workouts and you'll be one hottie bride!

kennady said...

It is really useful information about the Bridal Buffing. I think this workout for bride. My close friend is planning his wedding using the wedding planner iPhone app for the assistant.