Thursday, February 2, 2012

But I'm Not at My Ideal Formal Wear Weight

I've talked about this before, a while ago. I've got a job that requires me to attend a number of "fabulous parties" every year. They are excellent parties and don't get me wrong - a lot of fun - but they can also be very stressful.

Particularly the "what do I wear?" issue.

I have a large stock of cocktail dresses I keep in my closet and rotate through for events. Most of them are black, most of them are at least 5 years old, and all of them are boring.

We have a big, big, BIG event at work next weekend, and I've just learned that not only will I be attending, I'll also be speaking on-camera to any media that attend.

I need to look awesome.

I've got two options - one is a sparkly red cocktail dress that is swishy and fun, but VERY loud. And maybe a bit matronly.

The other is aforementioned bridesmaid's dress that doesn't fit.

I don't really have the money to go buy a whole new outfit, nor do I want to buy a new party dress in the size I'm currently at, given that I hope to be minus forty-five pounds in the future.

So.

Double spanx it and wear the bridesmaid's dress, or risk looking like a rhino in a sparkly red gown next to the herd of tastefully sequined gazelles?

Sometimes, being a lady is really, really hard.

4 comments:

Alice said...

I would wear the dress you feel the most comfortable in. You want to exude confidence so wear what makes you do that. I know what you're going through, I was 225lbs in high school, and worked myself down to 190-185 in university and everytime I hit 192 started to lose again and would stop in the 170s. Long story short, one of my sisters go married when I was heavier and that was hard. I also had to get a prom dress for that. Trying to look beautiful when you don't feel it is hard.

Remember this you are beautiful, talented and rock at your job. Dress in something comfortable that let's your awesomeness come through and you will be a hit!

Good luck and take photos of your sassy self!

MissHaneefa said...

I agree with Alice, wear something that you are comfortable in. I know that when you have your hair and make up done and all your lovely accessories, you are going to look like a million dollars no matter when size you are! I wish that I had a job that I could get all glamed up!

MS. Bad Mama Jama said...

Do you have it in your budget to buy a formal dress at a second-hand store? I found a great deal on an After 6 Line Black Formal at a Goodwill ($10).

If not, then I would just wear what would make you feel the most comfortable and accentuate your hair/makeup/accessories.

Alice said...

You really should try to enjoy your fancy dress evening. I'm on mat leave right now and my idea of 'formal' is a clean shirt, as opposed to one with food or puke on it. So just remember that when you get to be all glammed up!