Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Back at 'er

This week I started some new things that I believe will give me the kick I need to really make this weight loss happen.

5.4 lbs down in 2 months isn't nothing, and I know that. It's an accomplishment, but it's slow progress. And I will admit that I've wavered in my commitment to writing down what I eat, eating what I'm supposed to eat and not going off on a scenic side trip of snacky delights, and regular and consistent exercise. I do 'pretty' good, 'most' of the time.

That's not quite cutting it. I know I can do better.

Since the beginning of January, I've been tracking my food in a pen and paper journal. I'd argue that tracking is the most important part of the weight watchers plan (I feel comfortable writing that in all lower case because they've rebranded and that's how it appears. Hurray for lazy typing!) I started doing it the old-fashioned way because I felt like it would give me more of a connection to the program, make it less automatic and I'd put more into it.

That wasn't exactly how it turned out. I wasn't keen on pulling out my notebook and logging everything I'd eat. It took 20 minutes a day to sit down and write it all out, then find the points calculator or look up the values, and tally it all up.

So I signed up for the online component of weight watchers, which isn't free, but it includes a mobile app. I'm a heavy user of my smartphone so I figured it was worth a shot. I can always cancel it and go back to pen and paper if I want to, but for now, it's flashy and fun and most importantly - fast. Plus, it looks like I'm texting, so it's inconspicuous, and I can pull out my phone to check points values at restaurants before I order, if I want to.

Secondly, I've started the Couch to 5K running program again.


my jazzy new sneakers

My new office has a modest fitness centre for employee use. It's not open on weekends and is probably the size of an average hotel gym (2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, free weights, etc) but it's provided at no additional charge to people who work there, it's on the same floor of the building as my desk, and it's not very busy. I work 10 minutes away from home so it's not inconvenient to stay after work, hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes, and then walk home. In fact, it makes for a nice break between the office and home.

I did two weeks of inconsistent running workouts and started over again at Week 1 on Monday. I know that I've tried it before and it never stuck, but I'm going to try again anyway. Maybe running isn't for me, but I'd sure like it to be.

Finally, I've started communicating about my weight loss journey again. I'm writing this post, and I posted on the weight watchers forum again. I have a really supportive spouse, friends and family, but sometimes the support and inspiration that comes from people working to achieve similar goals is exactly what you need to push through or stick it out.

So that's the plan. Track what I eat, move more, stay accountable. They're little steps, but I hope they'll add up to big success.


2 comments:

Carlee said...

I'm so jealous that you have a fitness centre at work. I always find that the hardest part of my workout is driving to the gym and not straight home!

Baby steps and one day at a time. That's my plan too.

Dayle said...

I did weight watchers too but have now switched over to My Fitness Pal (same idea of daily tracking but free since I'm on a tight budget). I LOVE their app too. Just like you said it's so easy to privately get on and check or track before I eat something and no one's the wiser. Love it and good luck with the Couch to 5K!