Thursday, February 28, 2013

early birdies

I am not a morning person.

I've never had to get up earlier than absolutely necessary because for my entire life, I've never had to commute for more than 15 minutes (max). Starting in Kindergarten, and all the way through to present day, I've been a fast trip from my bed to my school/class/office. It is hard to break 30 years of ingrained habit, people.

I'm not really functioning in the mornings. Like my Grandma Olga (who is 91 and still living in her own house, alone, in fantastic health), once my feet hit the floor I am in action. It's like I'm on focused autopilot. Do not get in my way. I need to pee, shower, brush my teeth, dress, "do" my hair (wet ponytail, anyone?) throw food in my purse and leave. Usually I can do this in 20 minutes.

But now I have a fancy job and I have to actually look like the poised, confident professional I am. So the whole routine, including a blow dry, skin care routine, outfit and accessories and a makeup application, now takes about 35 minutes.

I'd love to have a slower start to my mornings. I'd love to get up, do something inspiring and productive, have a cup of coffee and breakfast (not consumed on the way to work or at my desk), gather my thoughts and start my day.

I'd also love to get up early and get my exercise in for the day, because then there's nothing to derail my best-laid, scheduled in my calendar but even then, cancellable, fitness plans.

How do I do it? I've tried putting my alarm clock across the room - I'd stagger out of bed, turn it off, go back to bed. I've tried going to bed earlier but that doesn't seem to matter.

I'm not even trying to add that much more time. An hour. An hour earlier in the morning would give me 30 minutes to exercise, 15 minutes for coffee and reflection and a 15 minute cushion so I wouldn't need to blitz through the morning routine.

Does anyone out there have any ideas? (Several people have offered their toddlers, which I hear is effective but not exactly the method I'm going for!)

1 comment:

Dayle said...

http://sleepyti.me/

The webpage above calculates what time you should go to bed for what time you want to get up and be refreshed. BUT: it's not about the hours you sleep. It gives you options for the length of time, but it is based on waking up during the optimal phase of sleep (not waking up during your deep sleep phase). Its worked for me. Good luck and remember that if you do it long enough your body adjusts.