Sunday, April 28, 2013

A milestone

On Saturday I weighed in and hit the 10 pounds lost mark.

And at the end of that sentence is an implied long, big, loud, bold, italic, flashing, sparkling FINALLY.

This is the longest it has ever taken me to lose the "first" 10 pounds. I re-joined weight watchers on January 3, so almost four months exactly. In my experience, the first 10 comes off the fastest, and the very first time I lost weight with weight watchers, I think I lost 10 pounds in the first month.

I know that the first two months of my re-attempt were half-hearted. I'd lose a little, gain it back, miss a meeting, lose a bit, stay the same, miss another meeting... but for the past month and a half, I've really been hitting my stride.

I've lost the last four weigh-ins in a row, and  though I did miss one meeting due to my little vacation, I came back and saw a loss on the scale EVEN AFTER eating more chimichangas than I could lift.

I keep reminding myself that ever step, every ounce, every movement forward is one that I wouldn't be making if I was doing nothing. If I hadn't started focusing on my diet and fitness four months ago, I'd probably have put on another 15 lbs without any effort.

I'm going slow. But if I lost 10 lbs every 4 months, after a year I'd be down 30 lbs, and that's not so bad. I won't lie, I wish it was going much faster. I wish I could fall asleep and wake up sixty pounds lighter, even if it meant I had literally nothing to wear and had to go to work wrapped in a bedsheet, but that's not the way it works.

So I'll take my 10 lbs, and start working on the next 10.



8 comments:

Alice said...

Great job Meg! You should be proud.

Meg said...

Thanks Alice!

Deb said...

Awesome job!

Weight quickly lost is often weight quickly regained. I've lost at the speed of a snail myself, but it's like it gave my mind time to adjust.

Carolyn said...

I believe in you! And I have read every post on both blogs for the last 5 years... just because I don't comment every time doesn't mean I'm not here for you. Congratulations on an important milestone!

Frank said...

Ditto what Carolyn said!

RescuingLisa said...

YAY! CONGRATS! That is awesome Meg!

Meg said...

i love you all. :)

Wendy said...

The best weight for you is the one you are comfortable with. However, there is such an important concept as 'healthy weight'. In order to achieve and keep it you have to develop healthy eating habits. I’ve read somewhere that even if you attend gym every day but keep eating junk food – you are wasting your time. Lots of useful advices on proper nutrition I have found here http://bit.ly/1gM5EyX. They provide special tips for women and lots of motivative ideas!